Thread: Quilted map of 7th Sea

Map Quilted map of 7th Sea

So, finally uploading my quilted map of 7th Sea's continents of Theah & Cathay. My talents don't lie with drawing or digital imaging, except with autoCAD, so fabric is my medium of choice for this. This was based on a composite I created from every 7th Sea map I could find. The friend I made it for decided to only have the nation names and the capitals called out.

Each province is made from its own fabric. In general I tried to pick fabrics that reflected the character of the province, but some ended up as rather generic. Main construction and piecing took about 2 weeks, but I knew nothing about quiting so it was another 8 months before I got enough help to finally finish it up. This piece was something of a prototype, where I learned a lot about piecing, quilting, and how different fabrics react to each other. Such as which fabrics are absolutely horrible to put together, no-matter how pretty they look.

When I can, I will try and get a better picture of it, but the thing's big (I've used it as a blanket on a twin-sized bed). Overall view is here, details and notes for each country are in the album.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09000.JPG 
Views:	1057 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	43784

Wow, this is something else!
    Seems more like a piece of tapestry some noble would put beside his
    fireplace than a map, though. Too little details like harbors to be of much use
    at the gaming table.
    But it sure makes an impressive backdrop, where it could be a great boon for atmosphere.

You may not be adept with digital media but you certainly know what to do when it comes to fabric! Pretty sure you got most of us beat because I couldn't do that. We all have our media of choice.

I played in a 7th sea campaign once so this is a joy to see. I look forward to seeing more pictures!

This has to be one of the coolest things I've ever seen! You have inspired me to do this for my own maps someday (when time permits)! I used to do a lot of quilting, but lost motivation (as well as being nowhere close to my crafting space) has put a halt on that hobby. This is going in my idea book. Well done!

I love that each place has it's own feel by using the different fabrics. I also likes that the quilting itself lends texture specific to the different types of terrain. I do agree that some fabrics are much harder to use for quilts than others--but I love doing it anyway. I've found that a lightweight fusible interfacing on the back can help a LOT.

I can't wait to see more projects like this!

Guild Member

This is amazing. A great way to do a map. Do you take commissions? You should try a middle earth map.

Rigg

Guild Member Facebook Connected

This is officially the most original thing I've ever seen at CG and is deserving of oodles of reputation

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

That's delightful, and an inventive way of creating a map! Well done!