Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Eriond - A Tutorial for GIMP & Wilbur

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected schattentanz's Avatar

Hmmm .. even though I completely removed the "snow" from the desert gradients, applying the mountain bump layer still created snow in the desert mountains ..
    I helped myself out by blackening out the according parts in the layer mask and by adding/using another "color variant" layer, working the same as in your forest tutorial

Regarding the arctic, I think I basically did, what you described in your last posting, then I just removed a little bit from the layer mask to "bleach out" the grass land intended to become a tundra .. For the pole caps I used a blue/white layer

Since you've been incredibly helpful with replying as well as (and even more so) with your tutorial(s) showing the possibilities of Gimp, I've been able to create a wonderful looking map (see attached) of which I'm actually very proud (it's a fantasy map, so screw any geographical logic ).

Attachment 58550

Now going onwards to details, such as kingdoms' borders, capitals, decorations and stuff

Thanks again for your outstanding support and kind regards,
    Kai

Glad to help schattentanz! Hmm, for some reason I'm getting an error message when I attempt to view the attachment. I'd love to see what you've come up with though.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected schattentanz's Avatar

Hu?

That's odd .. in the preview it still worked ..

Alright, let's have another go:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic1805813_lg.png 
Views:	353 
Size:	786.0 KB 
ID:	58566

Hopefully it will work this time ..

Kind regards,
    Kai

That turned out very well schattentanz. Great work!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Well I finally got around to (sort of) follow this tut...and you can see the results below. I did make a few changes: Started with SRTM data and dove into the tut at the Wilbur part. I also found doing the Incise Flow that the Flow Exponent of 6.5 did nothing noticeable, but 0.65 did as shown in the tut. Not sure if it was a typo or due to the size of the work (5072x2720), but I did notice that the lower the exponent the more visible the effect. Anyhoot, The land mass is done, and now I have to populate it

Thanks Arsheesh for the tut and also for just maybe getting my but back behind the DM screen. Following this tut got this old noggin thinking about running stuff again.

BTW, Koodos to anyone who can figure out where this is located on good ol' Earth
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Falland6.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	3.48 MB 
ID:	58673  
    Last edited by Korash; 10-26-2013 at 10:00 PM.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Wow! The rivers look beautiful there Korash.

I have taken a long break to think on some things... mainly how I can get better land noise & make my oceans beautiful... the technique I tried at the end of the tutorial didn't produce the great waters I hoped for.

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    Well I finally got around to (sort of) follow this tut...and you can see the results below. I did make a few changes: Started with SRTM data and dove into the tut at the Wilbur part. I also found doing the Incise Flow that the Flow Exponent of 6.5 did nothing noticeable, but 0.65 did as shown in the tut. Not sure if it was a typo or due to the size of the work (5072x2720), but I did notice that the lower the exponent the more visible the effect. Anyhoot, The land mass is done, and now I have to populate it

Thanks Arsheesh for the tut and also for just maybe getting my but back behind the DM screen. Following this tut got this old noggin thinking about running stuff again.

BTW, Koodos to anyone who can figure out where this is located on good ol' Earth
    Hey sorry for the late reply, somehow I missed this. I've seen a few people who have begun with SRTM data and it's always turned out really well. I'm going to have to give this a try at some point.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    Using a high-latitude location like the Falkland islands really points out the importance of using a good projection. Those islands are really stretched horizontally (a factor of about 1.6, if I've done 1/cos(51.75) correctly) in the Plate Caree projection.

Soon as I have the ability to upload images, I will share my land I managed to complete with much struggle & following Arsheesh's tutorial!

Look forward to seeing it Jae Dub.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast