Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Eriond - A Tutorial for GIMP & Wilbur

Im having trouble generating interesting mountain patterns in photoshop. Any tips on that?
    Also. What would you define as an interesting mountain pattern?

The addition blend mode in Gimp, what would that be in Photoshop? Screen?
    Last edited by woekan; 02-08-2015 at 09:42 AM.

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by woekan View Post
    Im having trouble generating interesting mountain patterns in photoshop. Any tips on that?
    Mountains are fractal. So for me interesting patterns are fractal too. Basically Wilbur can create interesting patterns while PS or Gimp can't because they don't allow the interesting fractal settings that Wilbur does.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tut.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	70698

I got the mountains working. Now im stuck at the gradient. I cant make it near as pretty as the gimp tutorial.
    Im using Photoshop. Any tips for me?

Also Bump map tool doesnt excist in Photoshop. Instead i used emboss, but this seems to make the map a little blurry.
    Last edited by woekan; 02-08-2015 at 07:54 PM.

The addition blend mode in Gimp, what would that be in Photoshop? Screen?
    Sadly I don't own (and am unfamiliar with) Photoshop CS. I do own Photoshop Elements but only use it for my tablet work, and am not too familiar with it either. What I can tell you is that in GIMP "Addition" is lighter and subtler than "Screen". You might try "Lighten" in Photoshop, not sure.

Name:	tut.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	70698

I got the mountains working. Now im stuck at the gradient. I cant make it near as pretty as the gimp tutorial.
    Im using Photoshop. Any tips for me?

Also Bump map tool doesnt excist in Photoshop. Instead i used emboss, but this seems to make the map a little blurry.
    Here I'm not going to be much help to you, because again, I'm not too familiar with Photoshop. However I'd direct you to check out jezelf's tutorials since he uses some similar techniques in his tutorials as the Eriond tutorial. Also, here's an example of his workflow that he posted a few years back (I'd link to thread but our search filter doesn't seem to be working so instead I've uploaded it directly).

Name:	Jezelf - Height Maps and Color Maps.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	70700

Hope his tutorials are a help to you.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks for the tips Arsheesh!
    Here is my result using photoshop.

Name:	tutorial.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	382.5 KB 
ID:	70707

Those mountains look cool! Much different than the ones I've made using GIMP. For some reason the ocean appears overly dark though. Was that intentional?

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Adept Guild Sponsor

Just a note -- I relied heavily on this tutorial for Erobelis Isle, which turned out well even though I wound up not using cloud-generated terrain after all.

Name:	Erobelis.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	70782

I also used DonDozone's realistic forests, and relied heavily on help from su_liam and deadshade for getting the Wilbur part worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by wdmartin View Post
    Just a note -- I relied heavily on this tutorial for Erobelis Isle, which turned out well even though I wound up not using cloud-generated terrain after all.

Name:	Erobelis.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	70782

I also used DonDozone's realistic forests, and relied heavily on help from su_liam and deadshade for getting the Wilbur part worked out.
    Wow, that turned out fantastic wdmartin! The terrain looks very good (and I do really like the trees as well. The colors are great too. All around great job!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Hey, I really love your work. I understand that the tutorial is intermediate/advanced, but I keep getting hung up on the cloud effects, specifically were you tell us to rinse and repeat for Cloud 3 and Cloud 4. When I change Cloud 4 to difference, I just get a black screen!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

Hi JonK, I'm not arsheesh but if i remember correctly i had a similar problem. You have to create a (click on) "new seed" in the difference-clouds settings for the second (4.) layer.
    I think the differnce-cloud-settings were the same for your second layer, and with two identical layers there is no differnce (black-screen). Hope it helps!
    Last edited by Abu Lafia; 03-25-2015 at 01:06 PM. Reason: not precise enough...

Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast