Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Eriond - A Tutorial for GIMP & Wilbur

@ Boundary Layer, that's looking better! I like the overall shape allot more, and your sculpting work has really paid off: the mountains blend into their surroundings naturally.

@ Beaumains, thanks, I hope that is of use to you.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I had fun making this and definitely had fun learning a new style. I used an older map of mine as a base, I didn't put as much work into the mountains as I would like, So I will likely go back and redo them.

I only had 1 issue, for some reason no matter what I did, the blur filter did not work on my Land Glow layer. It showed the blurring in the preview window, but whenever I applied it, there was no blur to be seen. So there is no shallow waters to be found here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GIMP Height Map2.jpg 
Views:	839 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	43993  
    Last edited by ZacheryGangrel; 04-13-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks for the feedback Zach. I'm not sure what the deal with the blur was. Unless of course you had the land or seal selected when you applied the blur: the selection will prevent the blur from affecting the area outside of the selection. Your mountains look pretty good (though I might add a bit more airbrushing to the land clouds layer at the base of the mountains to help them blend just a bit more. I'm not sure if it's just the resolution or not, but I couldn't quite make out the other bump-map details. Otherwise, looks good.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Apprentice

Thanks for this tutorial, Arsheesh. I look forward to working through it this week.

The GIMP Gradient Basics tutorial that you mentioned above is missing now.

Huh, now that's strange. I tried doing an advanced search for this thread and couldn't find it. I then did a search for the tutorial using Google and found a link to the tutorial (as posted here at the Guild), but when I clicked on the link it took me to a "No Thread Specified" error page. So I'm not sure what to make of it. Either the tutorial some how got deleted or it's been misplaced. I've written a note to the admins about it so hopefully someone knows what the deal is. If not, perhaps I'll either expand the tutorial to include the bit about Gradients, or I'll create a separate tutorial covering this info. Unfortunately I haven't the time to do either at the moment, so hopefully the tutorial gets found.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I can't seem to be able to open the my map in Wilbur as there is no option for a .xcf file. Am I suppose to export the flattened image file as a .bmp or .jpg, or other format? Otherwise, everything has worked great so far, I'll admit that you were right on the "there will be tears" section of the airbrushing the mountains. It took me forever to actually see any results.

Hi there libraryian, yes, you are correct. You need to save the flattened version of your height map as a .jpg rather than an .xcf. I guess I forgot to mention this in the tutorial. I will have to correct that. Glad to here that despite the tears, the tutorial is working well for you so far. If you do come across any other problem areas in the tutorial though feel free to let me know.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

@Tregmallin Apparently Notsonoble's tutorial on Gradient Tool Basics has gone missing (some of the admins here can't even seem to find it), however I have found a tutorial on About.com that goes over the same concepts. You can find it here. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Apprentice

@arsheesh That looks like just the ticket.

I love this to death. Thanks for making this, it looks great, even for a newbie like me.

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast