Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Eriond - A Tutorial for GIMP & Wilbur

Thanks for the tips, I'll be keeping a close eye on the things you two mentioned.

However, I've actually decided to start again from scratch - my first runthrough of the tutorial took a while, and it's easier for me to try again with a new map than attempt the process again from halfway through. It'll also be a 2100x2100 map, so I won't need to fiddle with any settings like I had to with the other one (which also confused me a bit; I wasn't sure where to add the extra Fill Basin and Noise step that you mention using for larger maps).

I've just completed the land cloud isolation step, and I've run into something that caused me some trouble before, namely that my land clouds are a lot darker than yours. Is this something I should just correct later when airbrushing, or is there a setting I should have changed to keep this from happening?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Issue 1.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	909.7 KB 
ID:	79956

As you can see, there are parts of the landmass that are so dark they're indistinguishable from the oceans.

Hmm, yeah those do appear pretty dark. Not sure why this is, but you can always adjust this by playing with the brightness/contrast settings. To do this, click the "Colors" menu and then click on the "Brightness/Contrast" filter. A pop up menu will appear. Just play with the sliders till you get something that roughly matches the reference image.

In hindsight I'm wondering why I didn't think of that.

Thanks for all the quick responses, by the way. I think it's pretty cool that I can ask about a 3-year-old tutorial and get same-day answers.

Blog Entries

instead of the "brightness/contrast" it looks more like a GAMA issue
    move the gama point to say 1.4 or 1.6 from 1.0

a 1.6 gama move
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

I assume I'll need to brighten up the dark paths during the airbrushing stage, to avoid them all becoming massive rivers?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarge View Post
    I assume I'll need to brighten up the dark paths during the airbrushing stage, to avoid them all becoming massive rivers?
    Yup, that would be correct.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice Facebook Connected PeterRJG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ludgarthewarwolf View Post
    Just wanted to post the latest map I made with this tutorial. It was made for a short lived project on reddit called conglerma. Unfortunately it seems to have since died, but I thought the map should see the light of day outside of the project so here it is:
    Attachment 78580
    That is awesome. It reminds me a bit of the world map for Brian Aldiss' Helliconia trilogy.

Tried doing this in Photoshop CS6... It ended up not going well

The Mountain Difference Cloud layer is near impossible to make
    The Masking options are different and as a result the masking portions don't work... which is a lot of it. I got to trying to sculp mountains and I couldn't get it to look well.
    I'm pretty sure the Land type layers would work, but from what I have seen GIMP's airbrush is better or something about Photoshop is making it hard to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Durakken View Post
    Tried doing this in Photoshop CS6... It ended up not going well

The Mountain Difference Cloud layer is near impossible to make
    The Masking options are different and as a result the masking portions don't work... which is a lot of it. I got to trying to sculp mountains and I couldn't get it to look well.
    I'm pretty sure the Land type layers would work, but from what I have seen GIMP's airbrush is better or something about Photoshop is making it hard to get it right.
    Hmm, I really wouldn't know since all I have is Photoshop Elements and I'm really not all that familiar with it. You might be right.

Working on a new thing, decided to make a new map. This is the second time I used this tutorial.
    Still haven't magically figured out how to do mountains well... The main problem i had was messing with the temperate gradient which didn't look all that good and I had to go try to figure out how the editor works which I still don't really know... Oh well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GMap.png 
Views:	183 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	80236

Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast