Thread: [Award Winner] Eriond - A Tutorial for GIMP & Wilbur

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tutorial [Award Winner] Eriond - A Tutorial for GIMP & Wilbur

Some time ago I promised to create a Tutorial for my world map of Eriond. But hadn't gotten very far along in the process when my PhD began and life became a whirlwind. Now it's spring break and I've finally had an opportunity to return to this project. About the tutorial, as advertised, this is a tutorial for GIMP and Wilbur that walks you through how to make a photo-realistic map similar to that of the one shown below.

A word of caution. This is an Intermediate/Advanced skill level tutorial. The techniques used in this walk through are difficult, and I assume that the reader already has both a working knowledge of GIMP and a rudimentary knowledge of map creation. Also, one tutorial that is really helpful to read as a companion to this one is Notsonoble's GIMP Gradient Tool Basics (EDIT: this tutorial has temporarily gone missing, until it is found, please use this tutorial instead), since my tutorial assumes a working knowledge of gradients. Finally, I have uploaded a set of gradients that I use within the tutorial. I recommend downloading and installing these before beginning. That said, I hope this is useful to some of you (EDIT: I found several small mistakes in the original tutorial so I have uploaded a corrected version).

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Arsheesh - Eriond - A Tutorial for GIMP and Wilbur - Corrections.pdf   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vranos Final.jpg 
Views:	9808 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	43796  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by arsheesh; 01-12-2015 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Found mistakes that needed correcting.