Thread: Sailing Ship Converted Airship

Default Sailing Ship Converted Airship

This is a commission I did for FASA Games earlier this year for their upcoming 1879 Victorian steampunk setting - this was used in the FASA demo game at GENCON 2015, and will soon be released to the public for the 1879 Demo Kit. This is supposed to merchant sailing vessel that required a quick conversion to airship mode, with the installation of the special steam engine that burn a chemical fuel far more efficient than wood or coal. The Captain's Quarters were moved to the front of the ship to avoid the excess heat, with the galley placed where the Captain's Quarters should be.

This is in my photo-realistic vector style using Xara Designer Pro.

After my next 2 commissions, which will take a week to complete (for Legendary Games and EN Publishing), I plan to do a personal map creating a Spanish Galleon Airship, in a similar style.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fasa-deck-plans.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	814.7 KB 
ID:	76086
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Cool map and nicely done too.
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Looks good. I like the wood effects you have on the deck and on the panels on the sides of the boat.

All that fuel, though. That's an explosion waiting to happen!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Well done and pretty cool GP! Is this a canon ball rolling on the deck in the second picture? Funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Well done and pretty cool GP! Is this a canon ball rolling on the deck in the second picture? Funny!
    No cannon balls, those cannons fire shells, and each cannon has 10 upright shells next to them. There is a glass round structure on the center of the deck inside a building. This is glass device used to create hydrogen gas emitted from a chemical process that is pumped into the derigible over the top deck. I'm not sure what you mean is supposed to be the cannon ball rolling on the deck.

Edit: on the aft part of the top deck is the exhaust pipe over the galley stove - is that what you mean?
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

By Gamerprinter
    Edit: on the aft part of the top deck is the exhaust pipe over the galley stove - is that what you mean?
    Oouh, yes, you're right, I'm confused . I don't know why I saw it as a steaming ball. With a second look, it's clearly the pipe .
    Interesting details about those canons, thus, I don't regret my mistake .

There's also a harpoon gun on the top deck, fore port side (front left for non-mariners).
    DrivethruRPG store

Very nice!!!