Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Bezria Atlas

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Joshua's Avatar

Wip WIP - Bezria Atlas

Hellooo. My players have asked about the "nearest continent" to my other WIP Sandrina, and while I had the mainland planned out in my mind, I went overboard and started working on the entire world. So here's the first render of Bezria (the world's name). Playing with textures for the water... One of these days I swear I'll read more into some of the wonderful tuts here. I skim a lot, get a snippets of ideas, and go nuts trying new things, hehe. It's a fun though spaztic way of learning PS.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bezria Atlas 032812.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	528.8 KB 
ID:	43465
    Last edited by Joshua; 03-29-2012 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Uploaded the wrong version of the map, previously!

MikeB

Great start! Really like your landforms and the style of this map.

Guild Adept

A very nice start. Gets my poor brain started thinking about climates... I seem to be developing a strange addiction.

Hehe! I'm casually thinking about climate-basics in the back of my mind while I work on this map. I've only had a basic intro to climates via an oceanography course, so I'm picking some tidbits up from another thread here in the forum. But it's not going to be easy.

Anyway, here's the next update. The land texture will change eventually when I get to eco zones, but I wanted to get the poles fleshed out before moving forward. God, this is nuts. I have maybe 10 layers already in my PS file! I've just started reading some tuts, and I'm going to get through a couple before continuing with the next couple steps, I think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bezria Atlas 032912.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	585.4 KB 
ID:	43489

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's a really cool way to do your ice-caps. I like that.

Regarding layers... yeah. I've done a couple with 40 or 50 (not including text)!

Thanks! I saw a texture for buildlings & streets in one of the texture threads and instantly thought, "ICE FLOWS!"

That's a heck of a lot of layers, hehe. Did it bog down the computer at all? I've added in even more today, but it's mostly temporary layers to test out some of the ideas in a couple of the tutorials I'm reading.

A little trick you could do is make the colour of the "landmass" edges fit the content - i.e. a blue edge on the ice, a dark brown edge on the land. It might 'fit' better.

Keep it up

Thanks, Luka. Do you mean for the stroke around the land, instead of the black line?

Guild Member

Very nice. I like how clean and sharp it looks. That island in the middle almost looks like Melniboné in Moorcock maps :-)

I had to look him up, but after reading some reviews I'm kind of curious to read some of his novels. It'll probably take a couple years; my current "to read" list is ridiculously long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast