Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Unamed Village (But not fortified)

Wip Another Unamed Village (But not fortified)

This is another village I'm working on partly for a friend. I'm going to try different style trees this time although I always do the vegetation last so I haven't started those yet. Still lots to do.

I've also got a modern small town in the works in this style but I'll post that when I've done a bit more on it.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

I am color blind but that looks like a river of sewage running through town there.

But maybe that is the look you are going for!

BOB
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

I prefer streams and brooks that look a little more natural in colour lately (they are rarely blue in aerial pictures). So yes that is the look I'm going for.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

Fair enough, I look forward to seeing this as it progresses to get a better feel on your color scheme.

BOB
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

A brief update. I've been a bit busy this week and I've still got another map to do after this one.

When I do maps like these I tend to switch between photoshop and SAI a bit. All my lines are done in SAI (like the sketchy lines on the roofs and stuff). I thought I'd get the chimneys out of the way early. By the way, to do those I just use a 6px line with a stroke and inner glow (normal blend mode, centre, choke 10, size 3 range 17) layer styles. It makes adding them pretty effortless.

The road exiting on the right side leads up to a castle which I've drawn a picture of but no map. It'll be labeled when I get around to doing that after I finish it. Still considering the name.

Damn, this looks good. Fast and effortless indeed, but clear and to the point. I really should try SAI. I have a trial version mouldering in my downloads folder.

One thing is, the river water doesn't look very, well, watery. With greenish water like this, you should decide - is it because of algae on the bottom of the river? (i.e. clear water, green bottom) or because of muddy water (hardly any change in toone from bank to center of current).

I suppose it's a little muddy or silty. I live next to the Severn river and it is rarely anything resembling blue. It has an overall brownish tone which is translucent at the edges. I guess because I see it every day I've started favouring non-blue rivers and streams a bit more.

Impressive - I love the style and level of detail. I'm curious about those walls (?) around the houses/yards. Are they just fences, or actual walls? Or are they ditches providing drainage of some sort? Maybe I'm completely misreading the map (sorry if I am). I like where you're going with that river; I lived on the Nansamond river in VA, and it usually looked like what you've got. Maybe a little bit of blue in the edges, where the water is shallower? It looks so good I don't want to suggest totally changing it too much, tho'. One minor thing is that the bridge looks pretty clean for a dirt road. If the r old was cobbled, I could see the bridge being cleaner, but it almost looks like metal right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    I suppose it's a little muddy or silty. I live next to the Severn river and it is rarely anything resembling blue. It has an overall brownish tone which is translucent at the edges. I guess because I see it every day I've started favouring non-blue rivers and streams a bit more.
    Ah, my condolences on the Severn. This is what my river looks like:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Some-Soca.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	43963 (note, picture is symbolic, actual results may vary. Also, the photo is not mine ... I found it while cleaning up our association's old photo archive)

Guild Adept

A nice little town. Clean and efficient. The river does throw me off, LOL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast