Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RETRY, new PHOTOSHOP world map.

Map RETRY, new PHOTOSHOP world map.

Here's my new map made in photoshop, critisism is welcomed, as long as polite

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	worldmapcuviefinal2.jpg 
Views:	476 
Size:	3.71 MB 
ID:	43853

Guild Adept

I like the basic tones of the map. The two basic visual issues for me s that the rivers seem to be sitting on top of the terrain and the blue coast matching into the seems a tad off. Livable, but not ideal. The river appearing to sit on top of stuff is the bigger bugaboo to my eye. The rivers should likely also be more winding as they hit flatter terrain.

I really dig the continent shape and the textures look very nice. My only issue is a geometric-looking peninsula in the north west corner. Is this an artificial structure, or just something that generated randomly?

I like the overall color pallet, and the land texture. When zoomed out the blue outline surrounding the continent looks fine, but when you zoom in it is sort of distracting, and doesn't seem to fit well with the overall style of the map. Perhaps it were gradually faded? I don't know. Overall, nice work though.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I say that is beautifully done. The colors and textures are great. You can almost feel the flow of the rivers, nice. Though the blue outline around the continent kinda doesn't fit with the overall map style. I assume it'll be changed maybe. And will you add more details to the map? That would be great. I look forward to any updates.

I agree with what's been said. The continents have an interesting shape and I really enjoy the colors, but the bevel makes the rivers look as though they're floating, and the blue outline is too thick and solid to fit in well. All the same, I'm certainly jealous

Hey thanks nice comments

Yes I have made some changes, basically re-edited the rivers and the mountains. Also found a way to make the river process a lot easier!

Heres the not yet finished result ( I know some rivers are missing)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cuvie2.jpg 
Views:	499 
Size:	4.57 MB 
ID:	44103

The rivers look a lot better now, but try shifting the rivers to about 60-80% opacity, they might work better that way.

I am now going to impart a bit of rare and mysterious lore: to red-green colour-blind people (app. 5-10% of human males) red text on green background looks a) invisible or b) smudged or at least c) quite illegible. To me, red on green just bleeds into everything and it looks utterly, well ... it annoys me no end. The problem is that my "red" photoreceptors are shifted towards the yellow and green parts of the spectrum, so I don't see red that strongly.

Anyhow, red and green are highly contrasting colours and it is a good idea to avoid them, because visually they tend to produce a fuzzy edge, a "bleed" effect, to the human mind - unless you're going for that. Maps generally do not go out of their way to be clashing and visually "arousing" in the sense of making people feel uneasy.

OTOH, as someone with color vision, I find the red text on the forests somewhat more readable than the blue. I guess it depends on whether or not you enjoy messing with the colorblind. Actually, if the map exists in the fictional world it depicts, then a red/green scheme could be a plot point as features of the map would be "hidden" from certain individuals/races.

On the other hand, I am bothered by excess letters in some of the names, like "The Great Forrest". That's find if that's named for Gump, but a collection of trees is a "forest". Likewise, the "Khaali Dessert" may be tasty, but perhaps it should actually be a dry "desert".

Hahaha I see my errors now, thanks for noticing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast