Thread: Fantasy Maps - Getting geographical features correct for a global position

Help Fantasy Maps - Getting geographical features correct for a global position

Hi!,

I'm working on a fantasy map and after searching around the site, I haven't been able to find a resource on how to plot realistic looking lakes, rivers and land features (deserts, frozen regions .etc)

If no such guides exist, would anyone be willing to check out a map and give me feedback on such features?

edit: I should clarify that I mean to ask if there are any general guidelines for creating environs that would be reasonably plausible on a realistic globe.
    Last edited by Arkkamedes; 04-10-2012 at 05:07 AM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Hi Ark ( is it ok if I call you Ark? iPhone keyboards suck lol)

Check out the How to get your rivers in the right place sticky in the tutorial forum for watery stuff. It's invaluable. For the rest there are a ton of worldbuilding threads that range the gamut for level of complexity and realism. Take a gander through the world/regional wip forum for those.

Guild Applicant

Been having similar issues. Glad I looked around before asking the question again. Thanks

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A complete description of how to get rivers, climate zones, mountains etc "really right" would be a complete geology university course and then some, I guess. My advice - besides tutorials here - is to actually STUDY maps of the real world. Look at how rivers flow, and how mountain ranges and coasts look.

That said, post your maps in the relevant forums, and request feedback, and there will surely be people who will be happy to offer suggestions.

This is short description of how to determine your climate zones and mountain placements and such. It's a free preview of a larger book, but could be quite helpful nonetheless.

http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=XRPFREE2