Thread: How can i do a click and travel map in a mmorpg

Question How can i do a click and travel map in a mmorpg

Hello, i know this topic can be a bit out of topic with the cartography but i need some idea, i want to do a map where by clicking on the destination you travel till there, but you can also choice the fastest way, the shortest way, or the safer way.
    Safer way will choose the street (if there is one)
    The shortest the one with less movements
    The fastest the one that require less time.
    Each tile will have a time required for cross the area and a level of danger .... the shortest way will not take care of those 2 previous levels of course.
    Do you think this way will work? Have i to take into consideration other things?
    The danger of the area will be used for random encounters and when a monster is generated it will be one of those kind of monsters that live in that kind of terrain (trolls in mountains, mudworm in swamps, etc etc)
    Thx a lot for the attention.

Ayrin Greenflag

Hi, how I would do it requires some math. From my college years I remember the Dijkstra Shortest Path Algorithm that can be used for this. You have to translate your map in a graph structure and assign values to the nodes & paths... But maybe there's easier ways... cheers, DJ

mmm seems an interesting algorithm i will study it and try to realize a travel map that will do the trick. Thx DJ

Most game engines already have a pathing algorithm such as an A* routing engine. There are many pre-packaged pathfinding tools out there; it's a matter of finding one that meets your particular combination of cost, availability for your tool chain, and ease of use.

Hello again, well first of all i have managed to do the visualization of the map. i was undecided if i have to do it flat or isometric and i choosed the second option...here is the look. What do you think?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mappa.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	284.2 KB 
ID:	44417

Name:	mappa2.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	518.7 KB 
ID:	44418

Hello again, the work is going slowly than i thought but seems i will be able to do it, here are 2 more screenshots, the second is for the combat.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen1.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	801.4 KB 
ID:	54783

Name:	screen2.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	607.9 KB 
ID:	54784