Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: April 2012 Entry - DeathMatch 900 - The Final BattleGround

Great ideas, thanks! I didn't want to over clutter it, but it looks to open. That solves both issues.

Here is a version with Lava replacing the Slime. I still like the Slime, but I wanted to share the Lava version.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final BattleGround-Fire_bg.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	44131

This is the Finished ( ? maybe ) version of the Final BattleGround map using the Slime pit. Feedback appreciated, and may influence a Final, Final version.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Final BattleGround-5_bg.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	44132

Cool map Bogie! Glad I could help a bit. For a Final-Final you might add a small legend perhaps, that indicates the effects of different areas? I know I really like that on a battle map, so I can tell right away what happens where.

Guild Member

Hey Bogie, I like this idea. I would make that background a little darker and put more fires in it. That way you get more contrast and mood in it that I like so far.
    Good Job!
    Rigg

I prefer the lava version..Perhaps because of the slime being so bright, and yet still showing the underlying floor pattern just messes up my head.
    Also, it is not really clear how the thing in the middle works. From the shadows, it appears about the same level as the outer floor, but my guess is it's more supposed to be something like:

Code:
    __       __
       \     /
        \__/
    With the chains holding the platform just barely above the surface? If so, a deeper shadow is need around the outside pit edge. Either way, you need also need shadows on the chains and to a small extend the spikes around the pit. It also would not hurt to signify some way people would cross the expanse(retractable bridge, glowing teleport gates, etc.)

All in all though, this is a nice piece of work!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I tried to make the slime darker, but that just makes the brickwork show more. The bricks show because the slime is only a foot or two deep and is somewhat transparent like swamp water. The pit is only about 10 feet deep and the surface of the platform is only about 5 ft below the level of the main floor. I didn't put a shadow under the chains because there isn't much of an angle from the fires down onto the chain. I will try shadows and see how they look. I haven't quite figured out how they get out onto the platform yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I tried to make the slime darker, but that just makes the brickwork show more. The bricks show because the slime is only a foot or two deep and is somewhat transparent like swamp water. The pit is only about 10 feet deep and the surface of the platform is only about 5 ft below the level of the main floor. I didn't put a shadow under the chains because there isn't much of an angle from the fires down onto the chain. I will try shadows and see how they look. I haven't quite figured out how they get out onto the platform yet.
    The problem with the transparency of the slime is the drastic contrast high/lows. This really brings the slime color out more and makes it look "thicker" and thus more like it should be solid and obscure the bottom... is t hat one single layer of slime with built in opacity (set to show some through) or multiple layers built up? I would even go so far as to suggest trying a different slime pattern from another source. To me, unless there is a hottub jet or creature thing going on, the slime is way to turbulent.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The slime/brick is one layer. I think it was originally made to look like slimy water flowing through a sewer. You're right about to much turbulence for a pool unless something is stirring it up. Hmmmm,,,, couple ideas come to mind.

I changed to a new slime ( tried lots of different tentacles but didn't like them ), added shadows under the chains and put in matching teleport pads from the main floor to the platform.
    Will add a legend next.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Final Battleground-900_bg.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	44271

Wow, that looks so different here than it does in Photoshop or Dundjinni
    Last edited by Bogie; 04-23-2012 at 01:36 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast