Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: April 2012 Entry - DeathMatch 900 - The Final BattleGround

Wip April 2012 Entry - DeathMatch 900 - The Final BattleGround

I'm starting with a basic idea, sort of a cage match final battle where the big battle will culminate on a central platform with room for any survivors to watch, or throw things.

This is just a rough sketch of the area, not even sure if I like the lava yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final Battle-Temp.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	43909

I have some ideas what I want to dress this up with, but certainly open to suggestions.

I made a lot of changes, all the floor and wall textures. Changed the lava to slime. Still needs works.

Name:	finalBattle-WIP-2.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	43942

The proportions of this map are interesting ... it almost looks a wee bit Japanese. Tatami and slime

The colour scheme (brown/slimegreen) does not look great, particularly the greeny-grey gates in the central island. Are you able to alter the colour of everything except for the slime? I'd be almost inclined and make all walls and floor and gates a pale grey to give a unified and simple look, and to really emphasise the slime. What I would do is to reduce the saturation of the floor layer by 50% and lighten it slightly, so that it matches the palate of the four external doorways (leave the doors and external walls as they are) and then change the hue of the gates on the island from grey/green to grey/brown like the other walls. You might also consider a hue change on the iron spikes (I really like these by the way) to a less brown and paler rusty grey/orange.

The second thing I noticed is dark green grid lines in the slime. Are these intentional? They seem to follow a different (and too small) grid than the brown background.
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 04-12-2012 at 03:00 AM.

I can play with the colors of most of the items. Will give it a try tonight. The slime is only a few feet deep so the brickwork beneath it shows through. It is just a different brick pattern that doesn't have a grid to it, and it cannot easily be changed.

More changes incorporating Lukc and Jack's advice, plus a lot of other ideas.

What do you think?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Final Battleground22_bg.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	43981

Huge improvement - the slime really stands out now. The spikes are also much better. I might have been inclined to desaturate the floor a little bit less, to keep a slight hint of beige like on the walls and outsdie doors, but overall I think it looks much much better.

Your wall lights are the same colour as the slime - is this intentional? Some sort of slime-light effect? If not, consider changing the hue to be the same reddish-orange as the braziers to reduce the amount of clashing colours on the map.

It's definitely epic ... I'm tempted to just steal it for today's game

I played with the colors a bit more and added a couple detail objects. I think it is a pretty good balance like this.

My biggest question now is there is a lot of open space on the right and left sides. Should I leave it open for "room to fight" or should I add some kind of furniture to be obstacles and cover?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Final Battleground-4.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	44015

How about designs/decorations on the ground? Like a pentagram of fire that boosts fire-magic and effects? Maybe a heptagram of ice on the other side ... you can leave the terrain open for movement, but make it so it has other effects on the combatants.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast