Thread: WIP: The Islands

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip WIP: The Islands

Hi All,

This is my first post besides my introduction, so I hope I'm posting in the right place.

The map I've posted goes along with a story I've been working on for the better part of decade off and on, though much more actively recently. I attached the image. Should I have embedded it instead?

It's not an entire world, but rather a group of islands that were at one point joined but moved apart by semi-realistic cataclysmic events. I say semi-realistic because in this world, the deities can nudge the forces of nature, but not push them. For example, they could subtly build up pressure that would lead to an earthquake, but not create an earthquake out of the blue by sheer will. So, the framework is realistic, but with tampered-with circumstances.

The scale of the islands is relatively small. I haven't nailed it down, but you should be able to journey across the entire thing by foot in a month or so. Maybe 300 miles wide or so? Maybe smaller.

The biggest questions I'm struggling with right now are:

* Are my land masses realistic?
    * Given the right circumstances, would it be possible to have the environments/features that I've labeled on the map in such close proximity, and in this arrangement?

Thank you so much for all of your help. This is exciting!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the islands map - labels.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	364.7 KB 
ID:	43923