Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: YNev Project - First Map (Kran)

Hum, the color transition between plain and mountains do not work so well. The elements doesn't blend with the map any more.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

I don't mind the brown mountains, but at least to me, the grey mountains look really out of place. Maybe for all the mountains turn down the saturation a bit, and make the grey a bit lighter?
    This cavern is below all, and is the foe of all. It is hatred, without exception. This cavern knows no philosophers; its dagger has never cut a pen. Its blackness has no connection with the sublime blackness of the inkstand. Never have the fingers of night which contract beneath this stifling ceiling, turned the leaves of a book nor unfolded a newspaper.

Wip

Hello again,

I know that i'm not knight rider with the super speed mode, so it took me some time. Here's my new version updated. I hope it's improved a little. I tried to blend the colors and put down the forests. Critics please! Also there's a forest or at least some trees in the north which supposed to be a tropical forest; but i'm not really satisfied with that, don't know why. I want to make a tropical forest area, but not the palm tree type, but the jungle type; and i'm having a hard time to figure how those trees should look like. I'd appreciate any help.
    I made my own tree brushes; but i really have to thank Schwarzkreuz for the idea, couse it's based on his Imperial Worldmap of Arden brushes. Those brushes rock!
    Also... about the coloring. I could use some ideas on that.
    Many thanks. Enjoy my map!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kranterkep05.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	44311

I think the colors are quite nice but could be better blended. For instance, there are a couple of yellowish patches in the north-east of Kran. I would recommend trying to fade the edges of these a bit so they blend in more naturally with their surroundings. As for the trees, I like them, but I think I'd like them better if, rather than painting over the whole region of trees, you had just painted the trees (i.e. their foliage) themselves. If you don't want to paint each individual tree you might create a custom brush with per-painted trees.

That said I think this is coming along rather nicely. Oh and by the way, may I ask how you did the coastal waves?

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

I think that the mountain colors are much better. I think that the yellow forests look a little off, like they are diseased, but I dont mind the coloration of the whole forested region like Arsheesh. i think that if you make the yellow greener, or decided on one color of green for all the forests, that would look better. The waves do look cool.
    This cavern is below all, and is the foe of all. It is hatred, without exception. This cavern knows no philosophers; its dagger has never cut a pen. Its blackness has no connection with the sublime blackness of the inkstand. Never have the fingers of night which contract beneath this stifling ceiling, turned the leaves of a book nor unfolded a newspaper.

Hey there,

Thanks for the feedback. I plan to finish this map this week, but there are a couple of things that need to be done before that. (Research on brushes, etc.)
    Coastal waves are simple, i made a 300x300 px new document, a couple of wave lines with a 3 px basic "Hard Mechanical" brush, made it offset (wrap around option) so it would be continous; than i made it a pattern. Then i made a pattern adjustment layer, scaled down to 30%, then i deleted the unnecessary parts with a bigger "Soft Mechanical" brush.

I'm preparing the cities and towns atm fot my map. New updates coming soon.

Cheers

I like your forests, mountains, coast. The rivers and lakes don't seem to fit in so well, though. Also, I noticed specifically that while inland water mostly dominates, with any terrain lines obscured by the water, west of Krán the river is crossed by mountain slope lines, creating an inconsistency. Otherwise, I think it is mostly a matter of the rivers and lakes looking quite digital. I'm not sure how to get them to look more hand-drawn to match the rest of the map better, other than drawing them by hand. If you have a tablet, that might be worth a try. Also, if the water were fitted to the terrain a bit more, it might help; can you reroute the rivers slightly to avoid going over (or under) mountain slopes at all? That'd put them nicely into valley where they belong. The little western river is suffering from angularity; getting some curviness to that river would also help.

This map is shaping up nicely, but I think it can be better if the rivers get some work. It'll be easier to make changes before you start adding settlements (which tend to appear near rivers frequently) and more labels.

Wip

Hello again,

Updated, almost there version. Changed a lot i think, i tried to fix problems. Still missing the roads, waterways, and i'm still hesitating about putting a regional border on the map. The country is with about 75 region [nah, i think i'll pass on that].
    I don't now, but something feels odd, when i look at it.

Name:	kranterkep06.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	855.7 KB 
ID:	44349

Wip

Hi again,

As i'm getting closer to make the final version, i'm bumping into problems, one after another. I hope i can solve them well. Still a few objects are missing, i'm working on them.

Here.

Name:	kranterkep07.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	44434

Well I think this is looking really nice! Here's a little rep to help see you through those final dark hours of finishing this bad boy.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast