Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: YNev Project - First Map (Kran)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip YNev Project - First Map (Kran)

Hey there,

I finally decided to start my Ynev Project. (Based on entirely a hungarian rpg world). The first sketch is here. It's a dark counrty called Kran, with ten thousand years of history. The country itself is labelled as "evil" by most of the other sorrounding countries.
    I want to make the entire map like a drawing. Though i'm not really sure about the style i want to use. But this is the kind i want to try out.
    Critics and advices are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kranterkep01.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	479.8 KB 
ID:	43946

I haven't yet tried my hand at the hand-drawn style yet (so take this with a grain of salt), but it looks like whereas some of the brush strokes you use for your mountain outlines are tapered, others are not, leading to slight discontinuity. However it's not too noticeable. Overall it looks pretty good to me.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Hey there, the style looks good but there's one trick that immediately makes it look digital: you've used a lower opacity brush, so where two strokes cross each other, you end up with darker patches. A way around this is to make the strokes on a separate layer (if you're using vectors, merge that) and then set the whole layer to a lower opacity.

Also, the width of your stroke is sometimes constant, sometimes variable, which is a bit strange for a drawing. Of course if you're drawing with a mouse, it's hard to improve...

Wip

Hey again,

I recalculated things, changed mountains, and some other stuff. Unfortunatelly i use a mouse to draw. More details are on their way (i'll draw them when i have time). On the other hand, i'd like your feedback, and many thanks for that.
    I still don't know if the mountain size is right or not, trying to figure that out.
    Here it is.

Name:	kranterkep02.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	857.9 KB 
ID:	43961
    Last edited by grangarian; 04-12-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

You are off to a great start. With some more work and practice you will have great maps to show off.

For the "drawn elements"... it looks like you are re-sizing them. A better way is to draw them bigger or smaller, rather than re-sizing them. (I have been guilty of that too). The best way to make things match is for them to really match :-)

For drawing with the mouse. I recommend zooming in and using a mix of "click/drag/undo" and the "many little shift clicks" (moving the mouse only a short amount and shift clicking). Because you don't get pen pressure with a mouse, changing the brush size helps as well. If your outside lines are 8 wide then add the detail lines with a 6 and 4 to give you the feel that those lines are not as "hard". With practice you can get good curved lines with the "many little shift clicks" (but it is hard with a mouse to really get amazing results).

Even if you only make a one or two mountains in just three different sizes you can get really nice looking results (3-6 Mountains and maybe 2-4 hills is a great start)... Make the elements next to each other in a new file with each element on a new layer, then drag them into your main map as many times as you need them. Something else that helps is removing/erasing the parts of lines that overlap after you move the elements together based on what is on "top".

Keep up the good work and you will have a great map before you know it!
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Ooh, love the soft colors. Any your mountains look much better to my eyes. This is turning out quite nicely.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Wip

Me again with v2.1,

I've changed the mountains, took advices, here is the result. I finally find it acceptable. Now i think i can focus on the little details and soon the coloring. More coming soon.

Cheers

Name:	kranterkep03.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	43987

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

Yes, That is much improved! I look forward to seeing this finished :-)
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Wip

Hey there,

Took some time to get to the next version. I was busy trying to find a job, etc.
    Finally colors are done (i think), and i added some more detail to the mountains, i think i won't change them further.
    Here's the result. Still missing the places, towns, dungeons and other nature features (trees etc.) I'll add them in time.

Name:	kranterkep04.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	1,015.3 KB 
ID:	44136

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast