Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mustak learning

Blog Entries

Default Mustak learning

My first map:

I make it using Ascension's Atlas Tutorial in Gimp.

Remains to be done: Rivers and Countries. Felimage too; not installed it because I could not.

(It is the first time I write in English, please be patient.)

Hi there Mustak, not bad, not bad at all. This isn't a critique of your map per se, but I've always thought that shelf for this style of map looks too beveled to be natural. That and the sea bumps look random. It might be fun to experiment around with the sea clouds layer, air-brushing (at low, i.e. 2-4% opacity) white on the portions of that layer surrounding the land, and black around the areas farther away from land. Also, I'd recommend turning the opacity of the shelf down a bit. This might help the land and sea to look more integrated. Great job so far though.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Adept

Very nice first map! I agree with Arsheesh above on the shelf. What is the scale we are looking at here?

nice colours!

Again the shelf It´s way to smooth compared to the landmass contour. I took the smear tool to break up the contour line and added errosion using the dodge tool ( don´t know the gimp equivalent ). Hope it helps. I think that can be used taking your original image without to much change. It will take some time though. Looking foreward to your solution!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	advice.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	43914

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Hi there Mustak, not bad, not bad at all. This isn't a critique of your map per se, but I've always thought that shelf for this style of map looks too beveled to be natural.
    Please write freely, with your comments I can improve (if you want correct my bad English, no problem).

You're right, it looks too beveled.

Selection grow 10px and Feather 10px (instead of 20px & 20px), opacity 20% (instead of 30%):

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    It might be fun to experiment around with the sea clouds layer, air-brushing (at low, i.e. 2-4% opacity) white on the portions of that layer surrounding the land, and black around the areas farther away from land.
    Sorry, I can't see difference.
    "Mapping Infinity: An impossible mission? Not if you're a real blood, it ain't." -- An explorer mimir

Look closely at the continental shelves of the large bay ...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Veldehar View Post
    Very nice first map! I agree with Arsheesh above on the shelf. What is the scale we are looking at here?
    Thank you.

Scale? I had not thought of that, but 3,000 x 3,000 km (approx.) would be nice... 1:18,000, I believe...
    "Mapping Infinity: An impossible mission? Not if you're a real blood, it ain't." -- An explorer mimir

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xoxos View Post
    nice colours!
    Thanks, but credit is for Ascension.

The colors are on page 7 of the manual "Ascension atlas style.pdf" for PS.
    Last edited by Mustak; 04-11-2012 at 05:39 PM.

The shelf looks better (if it were my map I'd still play around with it a bit, perhaps try adding some Spread Noise (Filter > Noise > Spread > 4%) to try to break up the uniformity a bit).

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast