Thread: Island Climate Generator

Guild Novice Facebook Connected ForestChild's Avatar

Default Island Climate Generator

I do not know if this is the correct forum to post this topic in, but after reading the different forum topics, it seems to be the best place to start.

The current map I am working on, is for an island, in a temperate climate. Now Ive done a lot of research on various different kinds of Island climates, but I am wondering if maybe there is an easier or somewhat easier way to create this, this island climate.

I do not want or need a weather generator, I'm looking for something more specific, such as an island climate generator, or maybe a general climate generator, but something that can be specific, something that doesn't give me the WHOLE worlds climate, as I am working on one small part (a medium to small sized island)

I searched the forums and haven't found any kind of generator other than daily weather generators, that or I'm just blind to search options.

Ive yet to receive a reply on my introduction, so I somewhat doubt/wonder if Ill receive a reply to this post. (Maybe nobody likes hand drawn maps?)

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

edit: the island itself, is a temperate oceanic climate, similar to Ireland's climate. It would be considered a continental island as well. You think this would be easy to figure out the climate, but meteorology and things like island weather are not my strong points. And trying to find info on google, etc, is turning up little info as well.
    Last edited by ForestChild; 04-13-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Joshua's Avatar

Hi! I don't know of any particular climate software like that... But the big thing to keep in mind about islands:
    -Their temperature is often mitigated by being so surrounded by ocean. It's less extreme than inland weather at the same latitudes, in terms of temperatures.

Now, islands close to a big continent have similar climates to their coastal counterpart. E.g., the islands of the Puget Sound share nearly identical weather and climate with Seattle's surrounding area. What I'd personally do is just look up the weather of a real island similar in latitude to where you want your fictitious island to be, then copy it and tweak for things like changes in mountain ranges, etc.

Oh, and I think hand drawn maps are pretty popular here, so you don't have to worry about that!
    Yes, I'm colorblind. But my pink fields and orange forests are avant garde!!

Guild Novice Facebook Connected ForestChild's Avatar

thanks for the reply. That helps alot. The map itself is done being drawn. Im just like I said, figuring out the info such as climate and what not. I hope to be uploading an image soon for feedback and to generally just share.

Where the island is located is as important as the fact that it's an island. Ireland, for example, is located at the same latitude as lower Siberia or Middle Canada, both places that are a little cold in winter. However, it sits smack in the middle of the Gulf Stream, a very warm current that flows from the Gulf of Mexico. If it didn't have such a current, it would be a lot colder. The lower Kamchatka peninsula is about the same latitude, but it doesn't have a nice warm current. That place gets very cold and unpleasant, I understand.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Joshua's Avatar

Brilliant point, Waldronate.
    Yes, I'm colorblind. But my pink fields and orange forests are avant garde!!

I've only used the demo, but I do know that Fractal Terrains 3 will generate climate data for the maps it creates. I recall it also did rainfall.
    Give the demo a whirl and see if it does what you want.

http://www.profantasy.com/products/ft.asp