Thread: Village map with circular buildings

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Help Village map with circular buildings

Hello, I am new here, but from my little researc i didn't find the thing that i wanted.
    I am looking for a village maps with circular or eliptical buildings. With the buildings to be something like that: http://permastoreom6.files.wordpress...0/glastonf.jpg

Do you know any reference to a map of that kind?

Any help would be great.
    Thank you very much!
    K

Most places with round buildings (in europe anyway) tend to be associated with iron age (and earlier) settlements and you'll have a hard time finding maps, mostly because there isn't really much left to map except some post holes in the ground. Also they tended to be small with locations chosen for factors like defence (like crannogs and big hill forts) and nearby food/water sources, good land for farming etc.

And the shape of the buildings themselves doesn't lean to producing the traditional idea of a street plan.

I have looked up all of the above in the past and what you tend to find is examples of the buildings themselves rather than village plans or maps.

dash it.. i can't seem to find the correct video. there's a lot of mongolian music videos on youtube.. i thought i had one with some shots of hundreds of nomad tents set up along a watercourse..

the video shows their construction (i think late in the first minute).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRuG6TcSft8

perhaps one of the vids linked to it shows the scene. not just a few tents.

Thank you for the replies.
    Larb: You are right, i want to make a fantasy village that is inspired from the iron age celtic culture. I think that i can draw the general environment in photoshop (thanks to the great tutorials here), but i have problems with the circular buildings, since i didn't find any reference.

xoxos: thank you, i ll search the tube...

If anyone here has seen a map with such buildings (floor plan), it would be great if he/she could pass me the link.

Thank you

I'd also recommend just googling for some archeological and anthropological maps of iron age villages, those would be a good bet. Archeologists and anthropologists, basically

Yes, like Lukc says; have a look at Skara Brae in the Orkneys (google image search for 'Skara Brae map'). The maps you will see of this iron age village are particularly lovely, and come in a variety of colours.

Not to be picky (sorry!) but Skara Brae is a much much earlier neolithic settlement, not iron age. You're right that it's still definitely worth a look as they did like round buildings though they tended to be of drystone construction rather than sticks an' mud. =P

Speaking of that region, the small settlements centered around brochs are also worth taking a look at. Some of them were very interesting fortified settlements but again, the "maps" you tend to find are pretty small. I always loved brochs though.

Thank you very much for the infos and links. I think i found some iconic village huts for my map.

Now i have to find a good village reference map with a tutorial. hehheh

Well ... for village placement remember:

1. the locations of the buildings usually aren't planned, except perhaps the first few buildings.
    2. over time houses accrete around the initial settlement.
    3. distance to water remains important as the village spreads.
    4. if the area is dangerous, houses tend to occupy secure, easily fortified locations - like all clustered atop a ridge or a hill-top.
    5. houses tend to be built so that the tending of crops is as easy as possible - so if flat land is at a premium, all the houses will be built on slopes.
    6. that's pretty much it ...