Thread: East Gaithuann

Default East Gaithuann

Here is another recently completed commission. This one was requested to be unlabeled because as it is going to be in a language (swedish) that I don't speak a word of. I left ample room for a map legend and title.

I used the same basic symbols in this map as I did in my Xendria map, but I was able to get an entirely different look with them. This map style was heavily influenced by the classic Pete Fenlon Middle Earth maps and I'm pretty happy with the results. The way I did the forests was pretty new for me as well, and I'm pleased with how they came out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eastgaithuann-final.jpg 
Views:	969 
Size:	4.56 MB 
ID:	44014  
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Wonderful! I like the muted colours, it really feels like an old, tired fantasy land that's seen a lot, but is still willing to put up a fight!

Oh, this is great! I also remember the old Middle Earth maps, and the resemblence is fantastic.
    I think your mountains look even better here than on the Xendria map... they fit perfectly into this colour scheme.

The only point of critique, which applies to the Xendria map also: the settlement icons appear a little plain and undetailed compared to the excellent mountains. On this map, the settlements are a brighter than the rest of the symbols. That makes them stand out more than on the other map, so the effect is (to me) more noticable.

And, last, I am disappointed to be deprived of a further example of your fantastic typography. Will the commisioner supply you with names for the labels or is he going to do it himself?

Very, very nice! I totally dig this style of yours. Xendria is an awesome map but this one is also a beauty. Well done! Unfortunately i can't rep you again atm. But consider yourself repped nonetheless
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Adept

I always loved Fenlon's maps, that is beautiful. A work to be proud of for sure.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

This is beautiful. I love the way the forest and mountains go together! I will have to try this style someday.

Thanks for sharing

Edit: Wow... I like that compass
    Last edited by rpgmapmaker; 04-15-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Added comment
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Wow, this is really nice! Did you hand draw all the forest foliage or were you using some sort of repeating pattern?

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Wow, this is really nice! Did you hand draw all the forest foliage or were you using some sort of repeating pattern?
    Yeah, there is a repeating patten there...I tried to make it as unnoticeable as possible.

Will the commisioner supply you with names for the labels or is he going to do it himself?
    Yes, the person who commissioned the map is doing the lettering himself. Because of the language barrier it seemed like the best solution given the time frame we had.

Wow... I like that compass
    Yes, it is quite nice....I wonder where it came from?
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio