Thread: Help, please?

Guild Novice

Question Help, please?

(If this post belongs in another section, just kick its butt where it does, I don't know my way around just yet )

I've decided to start a new world map using brushes I made myself instead of the premade/downloaded ones I have accumulated. I've been looking for a few tips, pointers, or (hopefully) tutorials for two things:

1. Trees.
    2. Mountains.

Trees always float in the atmosphere, how do I get them grounded?
    I've searched everywhere for beginner tutorials for drawing mountains, specifically for maps but I'm guessing my search keywords/parameters might be off because I haven't found anything on either DA or here at the guild. I was thinking of something similar to the Rivers sticky that's here? Any help would be MUCH MUCH appreciated and would save me from pulling out my hair.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pitamap.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	179.0 KB 
ID:	44230

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but you might try creating one mountain or a small chunk of them using this method, and then making a brush out of 'em...

To anchor your trees on the ground... add a little shadow below.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

You might like to look at the videos I did with this style... I did not talk about the trees that much but you still might like to look through the .psd that I attached.

[HERE]

-RPGMM
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Guild Apprentice

Here's a really good tutorial for drawing mountain brushes on this forum: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...use-in-PS-GIMP