Thread: Lake going over a cliff

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Lake going over a cliff

Hi folks,

I was wondering if there's any way at all to justify a lake going over a cliff and creating a waterfall that spans and entire coastal cliff. Maybe 10-20 miles long or so. The lake would be very shallow throughout. Probably about 2-8 feet deep.

The source for this lake would be a mountain range that has very frequent a large storms, and the entire portion of the landmass that the lake would be on would be at a downward slant towards the cliffs, so all the water would drain into that area, but I'm not sure that would be enough considering how much friggin' water would be flowing over that 20 mile long waterfall.

Another option would be for the lake to be farther inland and have a river that run out of it over the cliffs. When the lake floods, it would burst the boundaries of the river coming out of it and flood over the cliffs, creating that massive waterfall afore mentioned. This seems more realistic, but not as awesome.

I've attached a pic of roughly what I'm thinking. I don't mind if it's highly, highly improbably, but impossible is probably a deal-breaker. I really love this feature of my world, so I want to find a way to make it work.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lake going over cliff.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	44047