Thread: I need a map for a book under contract with Simon and Schuster

Default I need a map for a book under contract with Simon and Schuster

Hi Everyone!

I am so happy I found this website! I am almost done writing a book that will be published by Simon and Schuster. I don't know if they will want to use the map, although my editor suggested it would be a good idea, so there is a definite chance. The novel isn't SciFi or Fantasy, although I adore both of those and read them often. It's set from 1920-1967 in Northern New Mexico, in the mountains, in a fictional valley. I need a line drawn map. Not as fancy as Tolkien's at the beginning of The Lord of the Rings, but something more like this: http://www.boojum.com/images/lhumbloop.jpg

I don't have a scanner, so I'm not sure how to get my drawing of the valley to you. But I would find a way.

As for payment. I believe in paying people for their time. I have looked through a few of the postings, and I'm having trouble discovering what the going rate is. Can you advise me? I'm solvent, but not rich by any means (writers never are!).

If the map is included in the published book, you will of course get credit. I don't know if they pay illustrators, but I will certainly ask.

Thank you all for considering this!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Hi goldbry! First of all congrats on the publishing deal! Second, once you find someone you can have your drawing scanned at any kinkos or many office supply stores also have a copy/print service which includes scanning. As far as the rate goes, your artist will negotiate with you on it. I'm happily surprised that your editor is suggesting that you provide a map; there are many aspiring novelists around here making maps and most of the resources I've found have said the publishers usually like to hire people themselves.

Sounds like a great project, I'm sure you'll find someone very soon!

Blog Entries

Hey Goldbry.

I'd just like to throw a name out there for you to check out. That image you posted reminds me very much of a few maps Lukc recently did. Obviously there may be others interested who could work in that similar style but it might be worth giving him a PM to see if he's interested. (You need to up your post count to 5 before you can send a PM though I believe).
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Hi there Goldbry! I'd love to give this a shot, and Ramah's right (thanks buddy!) - it is right up my alley.

Some of my finished maps are noted in my sig - but I don't update that as often as I should (bad me! bad!). Anyway, there's more of my maps at deviantart, and if you wade through the silly drawings, some of the same ones at my blog.

You can PM me after you get to 5 posts, or drop me an email at lrejec (the first letter is an L as in Lullaby or Leopold, but not as in Llama) @ gmail.com

Cheers!