Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Town Map Tutorial

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tutorial [Award Winner] Town Map Tutorial

I intended to do this quite a while ago but only got around to doing it now. I hope someone finds it useful. It is in PDF.

*edit* Better quality version now attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Town_Map_Tutorial.pdf  
    Last edited by Larb; 04-18-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Very nice tutorial...good job on it as well as the recent towns you have been doing!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

love it, kind of wondered how you did your work. Yes I still lurk, just no time to do mapping saddly. But I really wanted to comment on the fact that your "A dreary windswept town." looks very very familiar =D. Best remake of a UO city if I've ever seen one. Got any others?
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

I wondered if someone would recognise that one. I do have a bunch of UO maps (some of which are here including the one of Skara Brae) I have done for my guild/alliance in a variety of styles including one I'm currently working on of all of Britannia. Most are of player towns though.

haha those are great, never actually considered redoing those maps, even though, those were the reason I got into cartography... I take it your playing the OSI side of the game, saw the sketch of the new trade port thing on the Britannia map. Great stuff!
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

This is a great tutorial! Thanks a lot, now i just need to find some time to try it out
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Hey thanks for the tutorial Larb. I've only had a chance to look it over briefly but so far it looks really good.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quick question: How do I go about replacing the PDF with a better one? There's a few typos and stuff still in there and also some of the images are a bit fuzzy. I fixed them and improved the image quality a bit. Indesign can be a bit funky with any options outside of high quality pdf to print which is superhuge file size.

So I just want to replace the one above.

Go to the advanced editing options, click on the "attachments" icon, and then click on the "X" for the pdf attachment. Then just upload the new version. That should do it.

Thankyou. I have attached one with better quality images and some typos fixed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast