Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Segarma - yet another "My First Map" - constructive criticism requested

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I think the number of small islands looks good; you might want to tone down the number of huge lakes. It's an artifact of cloud-generated lands and it's usually better to fill the majority of them in.

Unless I miss the mark here, I'd say it looks like you are working with Tear's tutorial. If so, I'd recommend following his instructions for generating see bumps near the land masses, and hiding them elsewhere. Currently the sea looks like nothing so much as a set of cloud patterns, and to my eye the even distribution of sea bumps over the entirety of the map sort of distracts away from the land.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    I think the number of small islands looks good; you might want to tone down the number of huge lakes. It's an artifact of cloud-generated lands and it's usually better to fill the majority of them in.
    You're probably right, and it gives me a lot more land to play with too. I should probably get rid of some of the inland seas too.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Unless I miss the mark here, I'd say it looks like you are working with Tear's tutorial. If so, I'd recommend following his instructions for generating see bumps near the land masses, and hiding them elsewhere. Currently the sea looks like nothing so much as a set of cloud patterns, and to my eye the even distribution of sea bumps over the entirety of the map sort of distracts away from the land. Thank you.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Yup, I used Tear's tutorial with some of my own tweaks. I left it out deliberately for now because I didnt like the way it looks when I did only some of the continents. This one from earlier in the thread has shallow water next to the landmasses and the bumps:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...6&d=1335268543

Thank you both for your comments.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12