Thread: Good Morning!!

Default Good Morning!!

I'm Annika , a life long (almost) pen and paper gamer, writer and eccentric artist type. I've been hand drawing maps for various rpg and fiction projects for almost 30 years ( yes, I really am that old ) I'd love to get into cc /other software, but can't decide which one to start with. I've been writing adventure scenarios and campaigns for even longer than I've been mapping and am working on going pro with that. It's incredibly inspirational to look at everyone's work and wish I currently had a way to scan and post some of my maps. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and sharing my work, when possible.

Annika

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild!

Welcome to the Guild Annika! If you do find a way of scanning your hand drawn maps, we'd love to see them. As to digital software, there are a host of options available to you. Probably the two most popular here are Photoshop and GIMP (a free image manipulation program similar to Photoshop). I use GIMP myself, and if you don't already have Photshop, it's a good way to go. There are plenty of tutorials for both of these programs. Look forward to seeing your work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Welcome, Annika !
    We'll take even improvised digital photos of your work - I don't want to wait til you scare up a scanner :-).

If you want to do digital work similar to your past maps, even a glimpse of what you've done will give us a clue as to what to suggest for tools. Arsheesh is quite right - The Gimp and Photoshop are excellent general-purpose apps, with which you could accomplish about anything. If you are drawn :-) toward vector styles, Inkscape would be a good pick, and it is also free.

Thank you for the welcome! I've just downloaded Gimp AND Inkscape so that I can become a zombie from lack of sleep playing with both of them I'll see if I can get some photos of my maps up soon too I've never worked with anything like this, so I'm quite sure it will be a learning experience.

Guild Member

Welcome to the guild. You are in good company with a lot of cartographers here with many years and experience points under the belts (uh um with extra notches).

Rigg