Thread: The Bitter Narrows

Post The Bitter Narrows

Hot on the heels of my first map ever comes my second map ever.

Like the first one, I used ZombieNirvana's YouTube tutorials to make this. I followed step by step, but also added a few of my own embellishments such as embossing the trees a bit so they have depth like the mountains do. I also softened the embossing farther than Zombie Nirvana did so it didn't appear so "3D" against the 2D background.

I'm not crazy about the shapes of the mountains, especially those in the northeasternish region, but it was really meant to be more of an exercise in Photoshop than a polished piece of art. Also, I was at work

Overall I'm pretty pleased.

Here's the first step in the tut I used: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0De0A...02qOH4CPKmOCs=
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Bitter Narrows.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	44120  
    Last edited by mozltovcoktail; 04-18-2012 at 03:37 PM.

I haven't seen the tutorial myself, but one thing that stands out to me is the contrast between the sharmp ocean lines and the fuzzy muted mountains and trees. I would reccomend lowering the oppacity of those ocean lines quite a bit (to say somwhere between 35-50%, duplicating that layer and adding a Gaussian Blur (5px) to the duplicate layer. That might help the ocean lines to better fit into the overall "haziness" of the map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I see what you're saying.

I did lower the opacity of the lines some, but they could use some more, and some blur too.

I may or may not keep working on this. My inclination is to call it a learning experience and let it stand as is, but I might not be able to help myself.
    Last edited by mozltovcoktail; 04-18-2012 at 05:19 PM.