Thread: Quick Question

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Quick Question

What programs do cartographers on here commonly use to create their maps and why are they the best?

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Joshua's Avatar

This http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...pping-Software is stickied basically covering several pages of that very question. But from what I've seen, PS/Gimp, Illustrator/Inkscape, Campaign Cartographer, and Fractal Terrains (FT) seem to be the big ones. Gimp and Inkscape are the free, open source versions of the respective slashes.
    Yes, I'm colorblind. But my pink fields and orange forests are avant garde!!

Are there any map-making apps out for the ipad that anyone would recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Hutchimus View Post
    Are there any map-making apps out for the ipad that anyone would recommend?
    I haven't found any Map-Making apps for the IPAD that I could recommed but the Ipad does have some good Art Apps that you can use to make apps.

Vector based(Similar to Illustrator and Inkscape) apps: Inkpad and Draw plus.
    Both are very good apps for Vector Drawing on the IPAD. (I prefer Inkpad) I think that I paid $4.99 for each.
    Raster based(Similar to PS/Gimp/Art Rage) apps : Sketchbook Pro, Procreate, Art Rage, Brushes.
    all are recommended art apps that can be sued to create maps. (I prefer Sketchbook pro and Procreate, although Art Rage is excellent)
    IMHO, none of these apps are even closely as good as thier desktop counterparts, they are a little more functional than MS PAINT( I belive) for art in general. However, using the IPAD (and I recommend a stylus {7mm}) with some of these apps you can create some pretty good maps.

I would recommend one or two Raster based apps and one Vector app. Sketchbook pro and one of the other raster based apps make a good combination(Did I mention that Art Rage is pretty good). You need to have two apps because all of the IPAD apps have limitations. Inkpad or Draw Plus are each really good.

The apps cost $9.99 or less each so it is not overly expensive to have a map making apps on your IPAD.

Note: If you are into painting, be sure to check brushes out, I belive it was made with Painters in mind. Did I also mention Art Rage is pretty good.
    Last edited by jharn; 05-12-2012 at 03:19 PM.