Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The land of Andoria & Realm of Telrith - [unpaid] commission (WIP)

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

Wip Update #4

Quote Originally Posted by Crudus View Post
    What is the region labeled Sabledain Basin meant to be? Some kind of swamp? I imagine something similar could work for tundra, except sparser and without grass. Of course, it's hard to show sparseness when your defaul grassy areas have nothing drawn in.

Without changing the color of the background for the tundra regions, I not sure how I would go about this myself. Maybe some kind of hatching around the outline of the tundra region?
    The Sabledain Basin is indeed a swampy wetland. You are right about the grasslands being sparse... I had not yet had time to start adding grasslands. This update changes that and is quite a big update for me in the amount of work I have done on it

I hope you like the additions and changes.

The dead-land and the Ice-land are still giving me trouble. I think that I will just keep trying to figure out what kinds of things best say dead and cold... that might make the light turn on. I still need to re-do the town & city icons... at the higher resolution that is harder than I thought as they have to be more detailed to look good. I am having a hard time with the sea lines too... I guess the only way to do it is to draw them all by hand. I have tried several version drawing part and using patterns but nothing looks right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test-5.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	44394
    © C. M. Perry 2012

I am still waiting for the customer to let me know what he thinks of this but I think I am getting close to having a finished map (cross fingers).

Critiques and comments are welcomed.

-RPGMM
    Last edited by rpgmapmaker; 04-30-2012 at 09:04 AM.
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Guild Apprentice

The only little thing i see wrong is that with the font you've used, it's really hard to tell the e's aren't c's in the smaller labels (especially when zoomed out.) For example: Imperia, Kael'Dravia

Wip Text and Test

This is true... I will paint that in by hand to correct that once I know where the text will sit above the city icons. I did that fix on one as a test and it works, so thank you for the good catch. sharp eyes are a good thing

Also, I have been working on a test coat of arms for one of the factions and a "World Name" thing. What do you think?

Name:  Falerend-1.jpg
Views: 1353
Size:  90.0 KB
    © C. M. Perry 2012

Name:	Andoria-1.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	342.2 KB 
ID:	44396
    © C. M. Perry 2012

-RPGMM
    Last edited by rpgmapmaker; 05-01-2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Added Coat of Arms and World Logo :-)
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

The world name cartouche looks a little pale as it is now, but the CoA is great in its way!

One thing I would like to see changed on the map: could you exchange the colour shadowing of your cliffs to a kind of crosshatching, so that the drawing style is consistent throughout the map? I know that I am a nitpicker in this regard, but I think consistency is important for immersion.

I hope your customer likes the map. It might be not as flashy as some pieces you find here on the forum, but I for myself simply love that style!

Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
    ...cartouche looks a little pale... One thing I would like to see changed on the map: could you exchange the color shadowing of your cliffs to a kind of crosshatching, so that the drawing style is consistent throughout the map? ...I think consistency is important for immersion. ...I for myself simply love that style!
    The cartouche is pale right now... it will get darker... as to the color shadowing. Right now it is a placeholder for what I am working on with my custom brush settings... I want to give the darker areas a stained look. I don't want the dark areas to look colored or painted but instead like someone took the corner of a rag and dipped it in coffee then rubbed it on the finished map to add color... or stained it with a brush and some other stain... I just have not found the right combination of settings to pull it off.

You might be right that I just need to go with hashing for the shade...

-RPGMM

I have not tried to emulate this, so have no idea how well it would work, but for your ice fields, can you try something like the way ground looks at Superman's Fortress of Solitude? I will look to see if I can find some references...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I know what you mean... that is sort of what I was going for in the version 1... but making an effort to make the "crystal frozen" look might help... not covering the land but just in a few places... yeah... I will have to try that. I have also thought of adding some snowflakes to the ground... but have not tried that yet.

Well, I too hope your client is happy with the map, because they are getting allot of hard work and a great product absolutely free. This is really coming together rpgmapmaker.

Cheers,
    -Arshessh

Wip Update #5

Deep breath...

Thanks Arshessh, it means a lot to have a good word of encouragement as the project takes it's toll on my mind

I am not sure what to do with the "Dead Lands" that is mostly because I have not yet gotten full guidance form the customer on that region and I am just leaning forward... he did say "evil volcanic, necromantic wasteland"... and I know that I am falling short on the volcanic side of things... but I am having trouble getting a set of good looking volcanoes in the style of mountains I have been using. I also want to add some cracks and cannons... this was more a test of the overall terrain and the ground lines and new dead trees...

Anyway here is the test:

Name:	Gul-1.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	578.1 KB 
ID:	44429
    © C. M. Perry 2012

Also I have made some pointy mountains that I might end up using in the "dead lands" but for now were intended for the "Ice land". I did some test of some things that were more "crystal" like but none of them turned out very well...

Here is that test:

Name:	Ice-1.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	44430
    © C. M. Perry 2012

Thanks again to all who have been feeding me ideas

-RPGMM

Wip Update #6

Well,

I have gone just about as far as I can without more guidance from the customer. The full res version is 16M so I dropped the quality until it was upload-able here.

I still need to add the rest on the city icons, but I am waiting for the customer to get back to me with their descriptions. So far I have been trying to make them look like their descriptions. At first we were only working on the realm of Telrith (West top corner). This time I just went all out for the whole land of Andoria.

I am still not sure about the "Gul-Thatar" and "Icevale" areas... and as was said before in the thread, I also don't know what to do about the cliffs. I have never been good at cliffs and despite my best efforts I can't seem to get them to look the way I want them to.

I have a new found respect for the artists on this site who I am still trying to live up to This has been way more work that I thought it would be. It has been fun and a learning experience I will not soon forget. As of right now I am happy with the way it is turning out but that is more for the customer to decide.

Name:	Test-7.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	4.52 MB 
ID:	44470
    © C. M. Perry 2012

As always comments and critiques are welcomed.

-RPGMM

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast