Thread: The land of Andoria & Realm of Telrith - [unpaid] commission (WIP)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

Wip The land of Andoria & Realm of Telrith - [unpaid] commission (WIP)

This is the first time that I have ever made a map for someone else. I love making fantasy maps, and having the chance to work on one that might be a novel is really cool.

The first version of the map turned out well in my opinion. However, in the end it did not meet the intent of the author to have a map that looked like it might have been drawn by a character in the story. Mr. Wall, has been very helpful in providing the details needed to place features in the right locations. He has also provided several source images to make things easier. He also sent me the 12 page (single spaced) outline for the book!

Here are two of the images he provided:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	376 
Size:	245.3 KB 
ID:	44158Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Draw2.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	255.6 KB 
ID:	44159

During the first exchange of information we focused on the region of Telrith. The process I used for making this version was to. First, draw each individual element. And second paste them all over the map! At first I used different types of trees for each forest, but in the end settled on using just one throughout the entire map. While the mountains look alright, I have never quite been satisfied with doing them that way. There are currently so many wonderful examples of hand-drawn mountains on this site that I would like to emulate. I might have continued to work on these particular mountains if the author and I have not decided to try and do a more hand-drawn look for everything.

Here are some of the tests that I made for version 1:

Name:	Test-1.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	44160Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test-2.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	232.9 KB 
ID:	44161Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test-3.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	253.9 KB 
ID:	44162

Here is the realm of Telrith - version 1:

Name:	Telrith-7.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	959.4 KB 
ID:	44163
    © C. M. Perry 2012

So, there are so many good hand-drawn styles out there it is hard to pick one. For now, I tried to combine several different versions that I have seen here on the Guild. For this version I am also increasing the size of the file to 8.5 inches X 5 .5 inches at 300 dpi. While I like the solid mass of trees, I still don't know if I will go back to trying individual ones. Also for this version I am trying for just black and white with no gray scale shading or colored "Old paper" background. (that might change)

Here's the first Mountain & Forest test Version 2: - (full resolution but cropped):

Name:	Mount_Forest1.jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	44164

Sorry for the attachment overload! I am hoping that you all will get something out of seeing the map evolve as I go about the task of making it.

Let me say a big THANK YOU in advance to anyone willing to critique/comment on this work or provide advice on ways to improve. Positive and negative comments are welcome!

-RPGMM

P.S. This was dictated to my computer using Dragon Naturally Speaking (Speech-to-Text Software)
    Last edited by rpgmapmaker; 04-30-2012 at 09:06 AM.
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.