Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jile, Shade's Town

Guild Novice Facebook Connected jlficks's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Map Jile, Shade's Town

So I finally started experimenting with cities in Campaign Cartographer 3 and this is what I came up with. It's sort of a modified John Speed style with a few recustomized buildings from Overland Perspectives to fill out the city. Oh, and it's set against parchment like my world map.

Jile is a seedy, swamp town from my book series. It's a hide for people of questionable reputation. It's an old city and is kind of sinking into the swamps, but criminals thrive here. It's located in the middle of the Ice Marshes so many of the buildings, walls and even old city blocks are being reclaimed by the swamps.

It's hard for me to separate lore from my mapping, so the map has some lore on it from my world. I plan on using this picture in a blog, so I welcome any feedback you may offer. I know I'm not the best map-maker out there so any tips from the experts on how I might improve the map style, what works, doesn't work, etc., etc., would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jile-Med-Rez.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	44178  

Wow Jficks, this is excellent work! I really like how you've laid everything out. Have some rep.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Looking good there for the most part, but you do have an "it's" for "its" error in the town description (8th line).

This CC3 style is very hard to master. You have made a very nice map with it. Well done!

Guild Adept

That is a nice map, never tinkered with that style myself but you pulled it off pretty well!
    Upon the Creation of the World the First Dragons cast their seed in the light of a Sun and a Thousand Suns, beneath the Moon and a Thousand Moons, on a World and a Thousand Worlds.

www.sistercontinents.com

Blog Entries

Thanks everyone! Think I'll give my ultra epic city a shot with this style next, the only problem is I also have to figure out how to make a side view. Rdanhenry, thanks for the heads up on the typo, I fixed it for the blog.

The blog can be found here:
    Last edited by jlficks; 04-30-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Very nice effect, though I'm bit confused what the blobs around the edges are meant to signify... Swamps? Hills? Open water?

The style is very impressive. I'm looking forward to that epic city map you mentioned.

Very nice ... but why is the text at the bottom shadowed?
    It seems to be the only thing that casts a shadow.

I particularly liked your overall 'composition' layout.
    Last edited by atpollard; 05-08-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Blog Entries

Thanks everyone. Sorry I've been a bit slow to respond, I've been deployed at my day job and I'm working storm hours right now, which is about 70-100 hours a week.

Robulous, the blobs are meant to be water since Jile is in the middle of the Ice Marshes. That's the water style that comes with the style pack, though maybe I could make it look more icy somehow?

Atpollard, I shadowed the text to make the text look a little stronger, though I suppose it makes the style inconsistent now that you bring it up.

Grangarian, glad you're looking forward to the epic city. It's a bit intimidating because I also need a side view, so I'll use your encouragement to get me amped for the project. Yes, I know this is a 3D mapping style already, but you'll understand when you see it. I'm very excited about this idea. Anyway, I probably said too much already. Now to get to work!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast