Thread: Siba - Small Town

Map Siba - Small Town

So, starting off on mapping the locations in my rpg campaign, here is my first go of a simple map for a small town, located at the edge of a murky forest. I based the techniques on a tutorial from the boards here at the guild, though had to diverse quite a bit since the scale on my map is much larger than the tutorial.

Town Map Tutorial by Larb

I'm pretty with it but there are parts that I wish I could have done better. One of them are the roads and something about the large forest in the north also still puts me off. If you guys have any ideas how I could perhaps fix these, please let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Siba-1v.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	44853  

Guild Adept

Almost all the buildings follow the same perpendicular pattern. This is highly unlikely in a town which was not completely, and heavy handedly, planned. Even most real-world planned city's buildings are not so rigorously 90° by 90°, usually.
    Here it is strange also because the roads are not regular or perpendicularly squared at all, so why should the buildings be?
    Last edited by feanaaro; 05-15-2012 at 08:47 AM.

A good point, I didn't actually consider it. Just started drawing squares to fill the map with buildings. The buildings should definitely not be so symmetrical, should be in varying degrees (as you said, no so 90 by 90) and should also be less rectangular. What I know from medieval building, particularly when it came to peasants, they were built from boughs, mud, and poo (not kidding). Not sure how I could do that in photoshop though, at least other than painting each building by hand.

Not opposed to painting them by hand but I only have a pc mouse to play with. Don't own a pen, which would make it a lot less painful. I literally hurt my hand painting/coloring those trees one by one

Guild Adept

If you want to do it quicker, you could try with a little random scattering and size variation in a square brush. However, as far as I know, the only way to do good shapes is by hand, one by one. And yes, it is painful and frustrating. Don't tell me about mice, I'm usually working with just the trackpad of my macbook! A pen would definitely help a lot, that's for sure.

Yeah, that's kinda what I suspected. Ohh well, at least the results should look amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by feanaaro View Post
    Don't tell me about mice, I'm usually working with just the trackpad of my macbook!
    I salute you man! Just working with excel on my laptop's trackpad drives me up the wall. Can't imagine how you do it on photoshop