Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Black&white big city

The Delta of Venus, Korash?

Yup, hash marks are a classic, very popular on 19th century maps and such. I like them as well

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Lukc!!! get that mind out of the gutter but I have always liked getting up with the crack of Dawn.....

Back on the topic at hand....with the style already in the map, I think that subtle contour lines might be the way to go...
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

I'm not sure what to say generally, but with the individual building footprints starting to take shape, it's starting to look pretty amazing.

Guild Adept

Hmmm, I get the giggling now. That happened completely outside of my control, although of course the sub-conscious... I actually drew the walls almost at random, but the general shape made me think more of this (safe for work, unless you are Troy McLure).

Anyway, once I'm finished with the city, including the outside the walls part, the shape won't be so recognisable, hopefully.

By the way, the shape of the land is given by fractal terrains, because this truly correspond to the location of the city in the world I am (very slowly) mapping (see my Arya maps).

As for changing the thread title, I was thinking of putting the city name in it, but I continue to change my mind about the name, therefore...

Guild Adept

An update. The average size of the buildings in various areas should convey a sense of the difference in economic status.

Also, what are "hash marks" and "contour lines"? Could you link an example, because here my English is failing me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eryasse.png 
Views:	189 
Size:	4.75 MB 
ID:	44368

Okay, contour lines are lines that you see on most modern maps to give an indication of elevation. The closer the lines the steeper the slope and the fewer lines you have the flatter the terrain...as a general rule...

What I was calling hash marks are actually termed hachure marks or just plain hachures, Like I said in the other post, these run perpendicular to the elevations and indicate the length of the slope by the length of the marks. The shorter lines are steeper than the longer lines.

I hope these short explanations and the links included help clear that up for you.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Guild Adept

Thank you very much Korash. The hachure are what I probably would like with this style (though I did not know the name), but I am not sure how to do in a satisfactory way.

I would suggest doing a rough layout (put rough elevation lines down) of the land and then indicate the slopes at various locations, and then fill in with the hachure. Just remember that the hachure marks at the same elevation all indicate the same height even if the lengths are not the same. Shorter = steeper. As in most things mappy, the best way to learn how to do it right is to actually try it out and learn from what works and what doesn't...

Guild Adept

update... slowly crawling on...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eryemire.png 
Views:	134 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	44465

I like what i see. I wonder how this is going to look when it's finished. I plan to try myself at making city maps soon. My new project will require at least one. City maps i find them tricky couse there are so much style you can choose from. And it's not easy to follow just one. Rep!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast