Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Black&white big city

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I agree with Vinoex about the hills to the north being too faint. Personaly i think both styles could work with this map.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Adept

Thanks for the feedbacks.
    My idea was not of two different style, just two different slopes, one hill is steeper, the other, larger, two are gentler.
    Anyway, some further tweaking:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eryemire.png 
Views:	449 
Size:	4.40 MB 
ID:	55288

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

The effect is interesting and could work but it looks a bit too computer generated for now. Btw the city design itself andthe farms are nice. though my personnal tastes don't make me a great fan of the city shape.
    Last edited by - Max -; 06-12-2013 at 04:47 AM.

Guild Adept

It's true that it looks too computer-generated. That is because it is just the product of some tinkering with the bevel/emboss settings and the opacity of the brush. I would love to be able to get something with a more hand-drawn look, but without having the actual ability to draw (I don't even have a tablet, anyway), that seems difficult to me.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

That makes sense. What about selection, expand on many lines with thin and low opacity lines(similar to the waterlines)?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Well, this is one amazing city map! I'm currently working on my own, and I would like to kinda emulate your magnificent style if you don't mind. Thumbs up for this map, feanaaro, I think I'm in love!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Guild Adept

Thanks Caenwyr.
    Of course I don't mind, flattery is the best kind of imitation, or something like that
    I am pretty sure that if you, unlike me, were able to do something similar in a vector program it would come out much better.

It's funny that this style encountered so much favour, in the end I find myself preferring my other, more coloured, cities.

While I definitely enjoy hand-drawn town maps I quite like the style that you've got here feanaaro. I think the fields and orchards turned out very nicely. My only suggestion would be to try to distinguish the land from the sea a little more clearly. While you do have some small waves running along the shoreline one has to zoom in to see them. It would be better if one could see the difference clearly without having to zoom in. One possibility would be to place more waves out further from shore, perhaps decreasing the amount the further from shore you get.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Wow came out great

Awesome map! Love it

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast