Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help wanted!!

Default Help wanted!!

Hello everyone, im a new guy here, and the last 4 months i studied a little of how creat a fantasy map, to my personal campaing. Well, now im stucked, and i dont know what can i do to make the map look better in all the ways. For example, i dont know how can i color his ground! Anyone can help me?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Geography.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	560.1 KB 
ID:	44183

At first sight it looks like it has been done using MS Paint and another software, maybe Photoshop. I'll be a little rough if you don't mind. You might want to learn how rivers flow. Colors are nice. You did the same mistake as me with the mountains, do not resize them, try to draw them in different sizes, so they match better, otherwise one mountain has 2 px outline sharp, other has 5 px outline blurred, match them and you'll have nice results. The coastline looks square-ish, try to round them a little if you can. And there are many useful tutorials on how to paint land and water and everything. Try to put some texture in it, that'll make it more interesting. Also be careful with the layer arrangement, put them in the right order, so the mountains on the south-east don't float above the forest. Some trees don't have trunks, some have. Be careful with them.
    A few corrections and steps and you'll have a nice map. Have fun experimenting.

Guild Apprentice

I like what you did in the center forest with the river being obscured by the trees. That being said each of your river systems have strange branches that don't seem to make sense. Water always flows downhill so look at each arm and ask yourself if it looks like it's coming from a high elevation area. If it doesn't you need to redraw the river or add some elevation in to make things make sense. There is a stickied tutorial in the tutorial forum that goes over all of the rules to drawing river systems, you should give it a read.

Aside from the river violation, I really like the mountain/river/forest arrangement in the southeast. Nice job!

I'm new too and have gotten so much already by going through a couple of the tutorials, including how to make water and land look more interesting and artistic. I'd highly recommend some tutorials (if you haven't already tried them) and stealing what whatever tricks you can

Check out the "qucikstart" sticky thread in the Tutorials sub-forum.

Guys, thank for your answers... I just want to sorry for my bad explanation before. This is one country of the 18 countries that im planning to draw... im doing one by one... So the water is just for notation. My problem before was about the field color, but i thanks for the observation on the mountains and on the rivers orientation. I have just one more question. I didnt get why the rivers are badly oriented, onde there is no elevation information on the map?

Thanks for all... I'll continue to make questions here, if you guys dont mind!!!

Hello again... Ive already donne some modifications, creating the mountains by myself and work a little on the rivers, and the result is
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fronteiras.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	44252

Obs: The ocean isnt finished, so its no so good.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I like the style of the new mountains; it's just that they don't fit there (and don't blend with the forest either). Still, they are really good.

Well, there is any place i can learn how to decide better places to create mountains, rivers and all this stuff....

Well, mountains happen where tectonic plates are pressing into each other, and rivers form where water begins to gather (at the bottom of mountains, for example) and goes downhill toward an outlet, usually the ocean.

I also like the style of your mountains. I think it's just that they don't fit in with the style of the rest of the map.

But this is my first map, so i need some tips here because im learning photoshop since january during my free time... So i would apreciate so much if anyone could help me... I think that the mountains arent fitting there, so what can i do to make then fit... Help please... And thanks for all....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast