Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unnamed World WIP by Apothecaryrose

Are those mountains meant to be created by a god or gods or by geological processes? Because in the latter case, I find a couple of those ranges just a bit too conveniently forming a barrier straight across the continent. Also, mountain ranges meeting at right angles are, at the very least, extremely rare. OTOH, I have no problem with mountain ranges being formed by gods (or other powerful entities) in a fit of non-geological activity that sets them up even if the current setting is largely naturalistic. Unlike odd rivers, which need constant supervision, once you set up a huge collection of stone, it tends to stay there for awhile.

Edit: Got ninjaed by your latest version post, which fixes that issue. However, now some of the mountain areas appear as blobs rather than ranges. A little work could make some of these into convincing plateaus, and adding hills should also help the mountain regions look more natural. Right now it is looking like everything is flat, except where the land suddenly shoots up in great cliffs. Which could actually make an interesting world concept, but I got the impression you wanted things more Earthlike.
    Last edited by rdanhenry; 04-22-2012 at 08:29 PM.

@rdanhenry, yeah, the mountains are still something I'm trying to fully figure out. With the latest version, the tutorial (Ascension Atlas for Gimp) I was following doesn't give me much control over where mountains land. I liked that in the respect that the mountains look less like they were created by the hand(s) of god(s) but they are overly blobby. Still learning gimp so i'm working on it.

The difficulty in working with per-generated clouds patterns is that you have very little control over the patterns themselves. You just have to work with what you get. However, there are some work-arrounds. RobA has a tutorial on this topic. I've also discussed how to manipulate per-generated cloud patterns to fit your design in my Eriond tutorial. course if you are happy with the way they look now, then there's no real reason to change them.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

ooooo... as always, you give me some good advice, arsheesh. I've worked with RobA's tutorial a little bit it gives good control over where you can put mountains. I was thinking of going back and trying it with this map. I'll have to give your Eriond tutorial a try too. I'm not completely happy with the current mountains so I'm up for messing around and tweaking it and gaining skill with gimp. But not right now... school and work call for me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12