Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unnamed World WIP by Apothecaryrose

Wip Unnamed World WIP by Apothecaryrose

Here is a world that I made probably 8-10 years ago. I did everything by hand, planned to write a story in it and then got busy with other things (such is life). I plan on working on it again, revamping it using gimp, fixing the many many mistakes that are in this world.

I know right off from the little that I've been lurking this forum that I need to do a major revamp and fix of my river systems and my mountains. But I'm open to any suggestions and critiques as I work on this world and post my improvements. It is my goal to make an awesome world and then write in it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World Map.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	508.5 KB 
ID:	44208 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TKN.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	212.1 KB 
ID:	44209 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TCC.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	222.4 KB 
ID:	44210

Name:	SC.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	44211 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LHEE.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	249.0 KB 
ID:	44212

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I really like the style! Thought, for a river to have so many branches, it is unusual, and no river can be like the one in the middle of the TKN continent.

Issues with rivers and mountains aside, have you considered how factors such as axial tilt, latitudinal location, wind currents, mountains and precipitation (or lack of it) all affect the climate zones of your map? The Magical Society put out a great little primar which covers some of these topics here if you are interested.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Avalanche, thanks! yeah, when I made this back in high school, I thought that looked cool... but now I know it isn't possible.

Arsheesh, You truly are an awesome help! All things I hadn't really thought about. That primer looks great. I'll definitely be checking it out to use while updating this map.

Been working on this most of the day. So far I think its turned out pretty well. I've made some changes from the hand drawn maps.

Any thoughts?

Next to do:
    -Forests
    -Rivers, Lakes, etc
    -towns and naming
    -roads

Name:	myworld4.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	612.1 KB 
ID:	44226

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

First, welcome to the Guild!

Second, river issues aside, I really like your hand-drawn stuff.

Third, with your new computer-assisted revision, there's a couple of things you might want to consider:
    -The land seems to float over the ocean due to the cloud effect you've gone with. You may want to add some darker blue around the coastlines to help ground things.
    -I'd enlarge your canvas a bit so everything doesn't look so crammed in there. I like the general shapes and layouts you've got, but you need more room around them to let them breathe.

On the positive side, the mountains look very nice, and the overall color scheme you've got looks great. Keep up the good work!

Diamond, thanks for the welcome and the suggestions. The floating land issue is something I hadn't thought about. I'll see what I can do to fix that.

As far as the crammed issue goes, how would you suggest moving around the land shapes without having to go back serval steps and redo things? I'm new to using gimp so I'm not very adept at fixing something like that without pretty much starting over or making a total mess of all the layers and layer masks and such.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

You shouldn't have to move your landmasses around at all, if your ocean is on a layer by itself. In photoshop you can enlarge your canvas (not image, which will just magnify everything, but canvas, which will enlarge the actual area of you piece of art) and I'm guessing there's a similar function on Gimp, though I don't know what it's called.

If that's the case, you can just enlarge your canvas, leave your land layers alone, delete your ocean layer, and redo it so it fills up your new, larger work area.

If you've already merged all your layers, or you don't have an 'expand canvas' function, well... consider my original comment a suggestion for next time.

Yup, Diamond is correct. In GIMP the feature is "Canvas Size" (Image > Canvas Size). Now it's been a long time since I've looked at RobA's tutorial, and I can't recall if you are using the same clouds layer for both the land and the ocean or if these are two different layers. If the latter, then Diamond's suggestion should work without modification. If the latter, you will need to somehow generate a selection of the land (e.g. if Rob's tutorial has you create a Land or Sea mask you could use this to make the selection), Inverse the selection, and delete the clouds covering the sea (and the sea color), alter the canvas size of said layers, fill with new clouds and color and voila.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Diamond and Arsheesh, thanks for the tips to change the canvas. I didn't figure it out before I started working on my map again. I used a different tutorial: the Ascension Atlas one that was converted for Gimp. I think I like the style of this world better than my previous attempt. It has a more realistic feel to it. I changed some of the land masses again but I think that I cut down on some of the crowdedness without adjusting the canvas size but it's still a little cramped.

Any thoughts or criticisms are welcome.

Name:	myworld5.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	44260

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast