Thread: Large Overland Project

Guild Novice

Help Large Overland Project

Hello kiddies, I just happened on your forum and I LOVE what you have going on here. I've been looking for something like this for a while now. I'm not sure how I didn't know about this site before now, but meh, that's in the past.

So I'm creating a website for my D&D 4th Edition Campaign Setting and, unlike most peoples games, I want to treat the material as an ACTUAL campaign setting (with an official look and feel to it much like other 4th Edition books). The first large section of the project belongs to creating a map of my world. A fairly large map.

First of all, let me preface my offer by telling you that I'm looking for a style and quality of cartography similar to Narthaine by Ascension

Second, my realm is a fairly large desert realm with various magnificent locales and many settlements spread out across the waste.

Third, I have 4 posterboard-sized maps that I have done in the past to be used as a partial reference.

And fourth, I wish for the digital map to be HUGE so that zooming and scrolling of the material can be a possibility (ala Google Maps).

Commision: Paid. I'm not sure of the going-rate for maps such as this. I'm sure I'd be willing to work something out with any interested cartographers.

Time Constraints: None.

Description of Map: Large desert realm with mountains encasing the land like a large valley. Outside of these mountains, the heat and flames act as boundaries. There are various settlements and interesting locales throughout the land but generally nothing but stretches of sand between these locales.

Quality and Size: Professional. Required for Web. Possible Print. Dimensions of map - large. We're talking possible feet (available to complete in segments if wished). I don't have the exact dimensions as that would depend on various factors such as who I'd be working with, what they would charge and how long it would take them to create a quality product.

Copyright: I will have the right to use the image for commercial purposes if I wish, the artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of his portfolio but not to exploit it for commercial gain. The artist will be easily recognized as the creator of the map on the website where it will be hosted, possibly garnering more business in this way.

If you'd like to discuss possibly creating this map with me, please E-mail me at dallasdowdy@gmail.com

Thank you very much for your time.

-DED-

I might be interested in this. Do you have/can you do a sketch of the map?

Guild Novice

I have 4 poster-sized cardstock pages that currently fit together in a landscape view to show off my sub-par line-art. I'm not sure how I would get that scanned and to any interested parties. I'll probably just do some rough sketches in paint.

At the moment, I'm thinking that it would be easier for me if the map were created (or at least delivered) as a bunch of smaller pages. Still not certain of the size I'd like. How big could you go, Hoel? What prices would you charge?

-DED-

Guild Novice

K, that was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I just ended up taking some pictures of the map segments with a digital camera. God bless technology.

Here are the four segments, if anyone continues to be interested in the project, we can talk about what each of the locations in the segments are and what changes I'd like to make. But that's the basic "sketch" of the realm.

And yeah, those are candles holding the edges down.

-DED-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top Left.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	10755   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top Right.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	10756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bottom Left.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	10757   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bottom Right.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	10758  

I'm very interested. Take a look at my map style (search for threads started by me) and see if you think it's what you're looking for. PM me for additional contact info.

Guild Novice

Just a quick bump to see if anyone is re-interested? It's been a while, but I'm going to be picking this project back up.