Thread: Hero's End

Default Hero's End

Welp, here's my third map evar. This one was done with the Saderan Tutorial in Photoshop CS5. The tut was super-clear and awesome. My final result doesn't match the style from the tut exactly, but I'm still pleased with it.

Things I'm not 100% happy with:

* The rivers don't pop as much as they should. Not sure why.
    * The forest areas don't have clear boundaries from the grasslands. I had a little trouble with that step, but was pretty happy with the shrubby look I got out of it anyways.

I'm open to any and all feedback, so please give it if you have it! I may or may not make changes to this map since I'm eager to keep running through tutorials, but I'd really like to hear what could be improved.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hero's End.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	44261  
    Last edited by mozltovcoktail; 04-22-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Hi there MC. Well it looks pretty good to me. Unfortunately, I don't own Photoshop and so have never had the opportunity to try out this tutorial. So I don't know how to advise you on your questions. What you are doing is good though: that is, it's a good idea to try out several different tutorials/mapping styles so that (a) you gain knowledge of several different methods of mapmaking, and (b) this gives you the opportunity to develop your own unique style as well.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Looks good for a first try in this style.
    You can use a darker blue for the rivers, that should increase the visibility.
    For the forest the use of different brushes can give you other results for their edges. A dropshadow can sometimes help, too.
    Some empty space for a map in general (no cities etc), but as you said, you are still working on your skills. Keep it up!
    Last edited by Sapiento; 04-23-2012 at 04:48 AM.

This is very good for a first try, my first Saderan tutorial map looked worse (and don't bother trying to find it here on the guild, I never posted it ) Keep up the good work.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Thanks dudes! Much appreciated.