Thread: [CC3] Caladana Oasis

Wip [CC3] Caladana Oasis

Tiny oasis village that I'm working on in CC3 to go in the middle of a desert my players will soon be travelling through. Also includes a small fortified encampment setup by a group of adventurers not on the friendliest terms with the town.

Not completely sure what I want to do with the map from here. I originally liked the yellow dirt background under the village, but I'm not so sure anymore. Anybody have any ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caladana Oasis.PNG 
Views:	246 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	44268

Not sure if your still working on this...(just found it as was looking for inspiration for my own oasis map)...I think it looks great, but, if pressed I would suggest to try adding a transparency effect to the yellow sand to allow it mix better with the background - along similar lines, might be nice to have more of a transition between the green and yellow and between the green and background. Might also think about including a subtle path leading to this oasis.
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Been working on some other projects instead, but I haven't abandoned this map. Still a work in progress.

Thanks for the ideas. I definitely like the idea of adding the path.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Pryme8's Avatar

make some of the green spot into the dry areas, it will give the effect that there is ambient moisture from the oasis and if you chop up your grass/dirt transitions it will make it look more realistic... also plan on around your roads include some of that burnt out grass and maybe near the water the green grass around the edges of your trails o_O just a suggestion

And six months later, back to the oasis project. Added some transparency to the village background and added a subtle path going to and from the oasis. Decided to go very subtle on that path as travelers don't come through very often, so it's a rarely used path. Also did a lot of work breaking up the grass/dirt transitions. Found that splotches of fractalized polygons with edges passing over themselves repeatedly gave a good effect that I liked, so I used the pattern a lot to add dried grass spots.

I'm starting to like this a lot, so it's definitely getting closer to being a completed map. Any other ideas from anyone? If not, I'll have to decide next what I want to do for text/labels (if anything)...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caladana Oasis.PNG 
Views:	121 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	48636