Thread: Contintent of Viridia, V.1

Wip Contintent of Viridia, V.1

So I'm working on a map of the main continent of my constructed world (pre-space age) and while I think I've got a pretty good thing going here, I'm not sure what I can do about those mountains. I want them to have the same quasi-isometric view as the rest of the elements on the map, but I don't know how I would go about doing that. For reference, I'm using a modified version of RobA's method. The main problem seems to be that the angular gradient tool is very interested in filling exactly to the center of the selection, while I would prefer it tend towards the top without just being a linear fill. Does anyone know how I might go about doing that?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ViridiaNeu.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	44295
    I'm also not particularly happy with using Profantasy symbols. Throwing ideas at the wall for now, but lately I'm a little obsessed with only using resources I could, theoretically, sell; and that really tends to limit one's options. The next best idea I've had involves modifying RPG Maker VX world map tiles. If anyone knows of other ideas there, though, I'm willing to look at anything.

Also, uh, interested in feedback on the map itself! =)

Oh, and if you have any questions about how I did something, I actually did all of this in the past two days (as opposed to half of it six months ago), so I actually remember how I did most of it!

Edit: Oh yeah, and to cut you river sticklers off at the pass; this landmass, and every other landmass in the Emarion universe was made by a god who didn't particularly care about physical laws while he was making the universe. Hence, rivers do not exclusively flow down mountains to the coast.
    Last edited by Eathanu; 04-23-2012 at 09:45 PM.
    Emaria Universe Map - V6 here, old version here
    Emaria Star Maps - here
    Emaira Star Map Tutorial - here

Wip Version 2!

Spent just about all day since noon on this (It's now 8:05). The ppi is increased to a solid 144 as opposed to the old 100. I figured out how to use the Displace tool to achieve more or less the effect I was after with the mountains. I'll be playing around with them a little bit more. Still working out a good method of showing the political borders, but all I've come up with is the super-subtle glow around the landmasses you can see in the first version.

I decided to use edited RPG Maker VX Ace tiles for the city symbols. I'm much happier with them, if only because they fit the "grid" a little better. Also included the parts I had forgotten about in the past version, like the Phantom Woods.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ViridiaNeu.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	44325

I'm very interested in hearing peoples' opinion on this version, as I'm pretty close to getting exactly what I want here (planning on getting this printed on a poster from Zazzle, if I didn't mention that in the previous post).
    Emaria Universe Map - V6 here, old version here
    Emaria Star Maps - here
    Emaira Star Map Tutorial - here

Guild Adept

Well, once you say a god which wasn't concerned with the laws of physics designed a world it eliminates much of what can be said, LOL. The style here is informational (and is successful at that) and kind of a throwback to old video games, which is fine if that is what you're going for. The mountains even for this blocky style are the bugaboo, they just don't mesh with the rest of what's going on. I assume you have CC3 by Profantasy from your above post, and I know they have better mountain symbols that would match the style better, although they might create the "wall" visual like the current ones you have. Been a long time since I played around with CC3, so I can't name a style right off.
    Upon the Creation of the World the First Dragons cast their seed in the light of a Sun and a Thousand Suns, beneath the Moon and a Thousand Moons, on a World and a Thousand Worlds.

www.sistercontinents.com

Yeah, when you specify that this happens in a place where water does not preferentially flow downhill there's not much to be said, LOL. If it's exactly what you want, I guess you got it to look exactly the way you want.

Some kind of colour/texture transition between the mountains and the rest of the land might be nice, simply for visual continuity, but I don't know squat about what you can do with CC3. And I'm not sure I can even see the political boundaries, if they're on there. A legend would be useful.

Nifty compass rose!