Thread: Ceerorian Empire -- Region Map

Wip Ceerorian Empire -- Region Map

Map for a fantasy quest novel. Any feedback much appreciated.

To do:
    -Forests
    -Cities
    -Roads
    -Borders
    -Scale
    -Labels

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan12-04-04 1230.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	556.1 KB 
ID:	44296

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Not bad so far. The rivers and coastlines seem very well detailed, but the mountains on the other hand seem "shorthanded," and just indicate that they are there at all. You might consider eventually adding some detail.

Your rivers all seem to be behaving, as far as I can tell. Someone from the River Police can confirm.

I think your mountain ranges are fine too, though I am not entirely sure about the smaller clusters near the western edge. I know that ranges often roughly parallel coast lines. I can't tell whether they are doing this or not, as the map doesn't include the rest of the continent. I'd be inclined to give you the benefit of the doubt, though.

Is the final map going to be hand-drawn like this, or are you going to enhance it with something like photoshop or GIMP?

Thank you much!

I intend for it to remain entirely hand-drawn, but there's a lot of polishing yet to go. I'll post as I change and add things.

For the mountains, I'll experiment a bit and see what fits the map well. I haven't yet found a style that I like. As far as whether they run with the coast, here's the whole continent, and an older version of the map:

Name:	Scan12-03-07 0000.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	44342

Name:	Ceeror.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	44343

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Alright, those look just fine to me. A little odd seeing a non-standard directional orientation (with N not being the direct top of the map)

I can definitely get onboard with hand-drawn maps. It used to be the only way I made them. Something about doing it by hand seems to put me more in the mindset of the place I am mapping, which is good for getting creative juices flowing. Some of my more recent ones have been mostly done on computer, but I still based them off of older ones I did by hand.

Hm. Rivers running way out to the point of a peninsula, or for that matter all the way across a continent, always strike me as really weird. Your super-detailed drawing style is awesome though.

Quote Originally Posted by octopod View Post
    Hm. Rivers running way out to the point of a peninsula, or for that matter all the way across a continent, always strike me as really weird. Your super-detailed drawing style is awesome though.
    While I agree it looks a bit weird on that particular peninsula, but many large rivers like the Mississippi over time through the deposition of material in the water creates its own peninsula, so that the mouth of the river might be 50 miles further downstream of what it might have been previously due to material deposition.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

That's true, but they tend to create a blobby lobey peninsula like the Ganges Delta or Mississippi Delta, not a point like this one...