Thread: Hi from Australia

Default Hi from Australia

Hi everyone,
    I have been lurking for a while and thought it was time I joined up and then say thanks to everyone for the amazing tutorials and maps!

I really appreciate all the effort the members of this guild put in and have thoroughly enjoyed browsing the maps.

My artistic skills are zero and my ability with photoshop/gimp is not much more, but the help I've received here through the tutorials has already enabled me to create test maps better than I had hoped. I'll keep trying all the different techniques and hopefully produce some nice maps one day.

A question if you don't mind. Is there anything in the forums for creating a continent/regional map with a dense fog/mist area? I couldn't seem to find anything.

Thanks again and i look forward to contributing to this site.

Pete

Hiya Pete, welcome to the Guild! I don't know about any tutorials that discuss this, but you could always try using some random clouds to do this, though I don't know off hand of any tutorials that suggest how. But basically you would generate a random set of clouds, use your "Select By Color" tool (in GIMP, I don't know what its name is in PS), experiment with different Threshold settings (start with 50 and work your way higher), select the whitest portion of the clouds layer, inverse the selection and then delete out the gray and black portion of the clouds, leaving the white portions. You might create several different clouds layers, using this method on each of them until you have an assortment of cloud patterns. Then just arrange them (i.e. cut and paste them to a "Fog" layer) however you like, varying the layer opacity to achieve the affect you want. At least, this method might work for a more photorealistic map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Hi arsheesh. Thanks for the welcome and for the advice. I think I see what you are trying to do and it could well work. Thanks again.

Just noticed where you live...just acrossthe ditch.

Yup, I'm your friendly neighbor across the way. Course I'm not a native Kiwi, I'm an American expat doing my PhD at Auckland. Hope that clouds thing works for you.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Even better... ...

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I also believe that there is a "fog" effect in gimp that would do the trick as well....No at home with Gimp ATM, so I can't tell you where it may be, but I do remember seeing it and trying it out once or twice....also cant rememberr what kind of results you get by jumping through which hoops...but I hope that helps...

Oh...and Welcome to the Guild, the Mappiest Place on the Web

**Edit**

If you are using gimp, under Filters>Render>Clouds there is a Fog that can render some decent foggish effects. I just hope that it isn't a plugin that I don't remember where I got.....
    Last edited by Korash; 04-24-2012 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Found it
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Hi Gidde and Korash,
    Thanks for the welcome.

I can't seem to find it on Gimp, but I'll google when I can. Thanks for the tip.

I'm using CS2 and the latest version of Gimp at the moment- trying to determine which works best (the PS is a bit old...).
    Thanks,
    Pete