Thread: How turn a map black and white

Default How turn a map black and white

Hi,

I'm new to software-based mapmaking and I was wondering if there was an easier way to get the map attached below into full black and white(so white land and completely black sea - no blue outline). The reason is because I want to try out Tear's Sideran-style tutorial ( http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...hlight=Saderan ). I have access to GIMP and Photoshop. The map itself exists as a single layer image.

Edit: and I've accidentally posted in the wrong forum. Sorry about that!

Thanks!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thanphia.gif 
Views:	229 
Size:	312.5 KB 
ID:	44329
    Last edited by Talaos; 04-24-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I find GIMP does this better than photoshop does (although I'm sure there are PS users who'd disagree). So I'd suggest throwing it into gimp. Then, using the magic wand tool with a threshold of 0, click in the sea area. You may need to ctrl-click/shift-click a few times to add/subtract areas that should or should not be selected. Then grow your selection by a pixel or 2 so that your line goes to the middle of your blue outline (Select > Expand). Then fill black (you can do this by just dragging the black box from your color selector onto the image window). Then invert the selection (Select > Invert) and fill white. Voila!
    -

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I would just add that you should do all this on a second layer if you want to be able to refer back to the original. Unless of couse you have it saved elsewhere

Gidde, thanks for that Expand trick I never thought of doing that and it would have saved a bunch of heart ache in the past.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent