Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from an absolute beginner!

Default Hello from an absolute beginner!

Hi Everyone,

I'm a transplant here from obsidian portal where I am building a campaign world. I've actually come across the CG a bunch over the years as I've looked around online for maps. Finally got around to registering. If the community here is anything like the community on the obsidian portal (and I'm guessing there are a few of you here who are on both) then I'm looking forward to learning a lot from the pros here. Anyway, i live in Connecticut, USA. Married dad, personal trainer, martial artist, pilates instructor...and part time geek. I've been playing fantasy (and other) rpgs since 1980. Also an avid reader, though family and professional life have made it hard to be quite as avid as I used to be. One thing I always looked for in a good fantasy novel was the map! I'v got a great collectors edition of LOTR with a cool fold out map that I've spend as much time referring to as I do reading the book. I would also describe myself as a former artist. In my youth and teens I spent hours drawing, mostly dragons...nowadays that has simply stopped. In what I guess you could call a sort of Geek Mid Life Crisis, I've been trying to get back in touch with that creative self. Recently I've turned to obsidian portal as a creative outlet. Lot's of writing, campaign desingning, coding, editing...and now...mapping. I've tried the free version of hexographer, and I own a copy of CC3. Thanks to Arsheesh, who has posted a list of handy links and mapmaking tutorials on OP, I've been led back here to CG. If you get the urge, come on over to the OP and check out my campaign... Violent Skies http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/violent-skies I've got ambitions to make a number of maps...from the entire globe...down to the flying ships that criss-cross my world. Looking forward to meeting some of you cool folks and learning from you. Thanks!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome I think I have the same LOTR edition; black cover, or red?

I have the red cover edition. Also have a green cover version of the hobbit.

Cool! I actually have the black cover one, but my mom has the red one, which is how LOTR has come to be known in our family as simply "The Red Book"

That's perfect and Ironic since the "Hobbit" is referred to as the "Red book" in LOTR...but "The Red Book" is my old standby. When I'm at a loss for something to read I'll almost always pick it up.

Me too, but I tend to pick up the worn out paperbacks instead of the good one. Can't bring myself to wear out a prized possession

Oh...I understand...That book definitely gets handled with reverence. There is something satisfying about the feel of the binding...and that fold out map! Unfortunately I don't have any of my worn out old paperbacks anymore...A crazy ex girlfriend made me sell them off years ago...something I will forever regret. Anyway, I'm working on creating my own story now, through the OP and now here on the guild.

I notice in your finished maps that you have also done maps for the David Eddings books...another awesome and favorite series!

Agreed on all three counts I also originally came here to make a map for my own writing. Now it's grown into a full-fledged pursuit in its own right (be ye warned)!

Hey there Dlaporte7271, nice to see you at the Guild. This is definitely another really fantastic community. I do occasionally run into others from the Portal here, but I don't think there are too many OP regulars here. At any rate, look forward to seeing you around more often.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast