Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Lands of Orum: The Red Epic

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Great map. Do you make the map from beginning in greyscale or do you start with a coloured version and use a b/w filter afterwards?

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Thanks for comments guys, i appreciate them @Sapiento-This was straight B/W greyscale from start to finish. I've done maps color and then translated them over, but with these e book maps, they request B/W. Its a bit easier to work that way not having to worry about saturation etc, the focus is on tonality.

~J

Guild Apprentice

It looks great. One thing that jumps out at me, that I have noticed on a lot of other maps too, is that the contour lines in the ocean are very uniform. One would imagine there would be some variation in the continental shelf as it rolled off into the ocean. Unless they are not meant to be contours, but some kind of wave outlining, but even then I'm not sure if they would poke into little bays and inlets as they do here. I think it is symptomatic of the plugin or process used to generate the outlines, but I would appreciate some time taken to edit and fix these things up a bit, especially in maps where land based details are often meticulously tweaked to perfection.

I like the shading and subtle effects very much, though. Repped

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Hey Crudus- I agree, on some of these maps the lines are a bit too uniform, and in my furure maps i have been beating them up a bit more, or distorting them so they don't look perfect Good eye, i appreciate the crit.

Thanks everyone, these maps are fun and actually a bit more creative than much of the other stuff i work on!

~J

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Gorgeous map. The only thing that bugged me was that unless I am mistaking the scale, the land relatively speaking seems too small to be bordered by three different "Oceans." But since it has been made clear that you are doing this for a client, that's not really your call to make.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12