Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [WIP] A rather large city - commission

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Interesting. I'm assuming it's an unplanned metropolis connecting what were lots of smaller towns/villages, ie like most Old World cities rather than the grid patterns of New World cities. Intrigued as to why it has a city wall... makes me think of the Megacities in Judge Dredd

Just a on roads: transport and communications links are a big part of an evolving city, but your highways don't seem to be continuous, or rather they're quite broken up and tricky to navigate. In an anarchic unplanned city that's fine, but with modern urban planning it's likely various streets would be widened into arterial routes. You see main thoroughfares marked even in mediaeval cities. For this to make sense you'd have to think of where people are travelling to and from within the city.

Robulous, he's making the map for my novel, in which the city grows organically (including the wall)--chaotically and unevenly, like patches of mold, etc. The city is entirely residential (no businesses, no industry), and most people there don't actually communicate with each other. In that context, its layout might make more sense

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dark City B4 - Detail of Guard Station WIP 2 - 300dpi.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	44464

Yup, I agree Robulous - modern urban planning *would* change it, but here it's more like it's being slowly shaped by the collective subconscious of the denizens (that's my take on it! Lachrymal might disagree). Anyhow, here is a detail map of one small region of the city ... still quite unfinished, admittedly!

(Also, this is a first for me ... mapping on the floor, with my laptop on a suitcase. Damn, but the Dutch seriously mean unfurnished when they say unfurnished. Not even any furniture in the common area!)
    Last edited by Lukc; 05-03-2012 at 05:23 PM.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

That small region looks great!

But how can a huge city be entirely residential with no businesses at all? People have to buy food at the very least, which means markets or at least clusters of local shops, plus clothing and all the other things needed to run a household. Plus how do people feed themselves if there's no businesses for them to work in...?! I guess it makes more sense in the context of the story

Remember Planescape: Torment?

That was a clue

Anyway, here's a low-res colour draft of the work ...

Name:	Dark-City-B4---Guard-House-Close-Up-WIP2-4-in-color.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	44486

I'm faced by the continual challenge of both making a bit of an artwork of the setting, as well as adapting to the limitations of b/w print and the e-book format.

Wow, just wow, i really like that colored draft. Especially those small drawings that shows what's in that place. Really impressive.

Phew ... it's been a hectic few weeks. Moving, new job, new country, strange language ... hectic. Oh, and the map is going to be published in the novel ... so ... that's also been occupying me, finishing it up, playing around, etc. Anyway, without further ado, the almost final WIP:

Name:	Dark-City-WIP-3-color.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	913.1 KB 
ID:	44882

Edit: the map is basically a composite, but the base map - the streets - represent the (probably occasionally inaccurate) result of many years of observation and ink drawing by a character in the novel. The base map, to get a sense of scale, can actually be printed out at 150dpi at approximately 3 yards by 3 yards, or 2700x2700mm for the metrically minded.

Why did I make it so big? Because I could*.

*actual reasons may vary.
    Last edited by Lukc; 05-16-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Yikes! Looking good

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12