Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Choosing the right software option

Well...I guess that leads to the related question....what kind of hardware do I require. Thanks to Wiki...I now know what a Wacom tablet is...I've seen people throwing around the term 'tablet' but I'm guessing they aren't talking about ipads...(or are they). Anybody out there drawing maps on their tablet pc?

Dave

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I've tried, and it sucked, although to be fair I didn't give it a huge shot. It was a tablet PC that I was asked to test out at work, and naturally I was curious about drawing with it.

I much prefer my lil' Bamboo.

GIMP comes with a standard "Render Grid" option, but somewhere or other I found a "Render Hex Grid" plugin which I've been meaning to make use of ever since I read Justin Alexander's blog post on Playing with Hexcrawls. So this might be a way to have your cake and eat it too Dave. OK, did a quick Google search and here's the link to the Hex Grid Plugin.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Ok...downloaded GIMP...tried some VERY basic stuff using one of the tutorials...lots to learn....but...looks like it will be fun....though...I wonder If my project might be a little ambitious to start with.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

ever hear of the expression "Go big...or go home"..?

Have fun
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Well, the best thing I can say is start pounding out maps for yourself and expect them to not be quite what you want. You are going to learn a ton on each one you create for a while.

If you need some help disciplining yourself to do something get in on the challenges we have here every month. If nothing else you will get lots of feedback that way. You could also create a WIP in the appropriate area for your own maps and get feedback there was well.

Have fun, we look forward to seeing what you do.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Just want to give you all a quick thank you. I came here with pretty much the exact same questions and situation as dlaporte7271. I will now begin digging through all the gimp tutorials you all have kindly created.

-Drelen

Quote Originally Posted by dlaporte7271 View Post
    Ok...downloaded GIMP...tried some VERY basic stuff using one of the tutorials...lots to learn....but...looks like it will be fun....though...I wonder If my project might be a little ambitious to start with.
    A bit late to the party here...but if you have not gotten to it yet, the first thing you should MASTER(IMHO) is layer masks. This will greatly assist you in doing non destructive editing... For that matter, I would suggest before you start doing anything to an existing image(say a tillable fill pattern for example), your first question is "How can I do this in a non destructive way".
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hey jfrazierjr....since I'm such a rookie...I don't know what you mean by 'non destructive' editing. I'm guessing you mean that using layer masks is a 'constructive' way to add or even remove/cover elements of your project...as opposed to using an eraser or other means of deleting elements...but...

@Drelen...I can say that the tutorials have been helpful in getting my feet on the path. Good luck to you and welcome!

-dlaporte (aka Dave)

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Actually, what jf means is that you can use layers to create effect that you can apply to the original drawing or even layer without actually affecting the original. He has a link in his sig that explains a sh*te load of stuff about Layers.

Well worth the read
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast