Thread: Map of an Island

Map Map of an Island

Hi! I have an important request. It's for a fantasy world I'm building. The island I'm asking for is the island of Ynnys ( ynys = island and ynn = ash in welsh, I taught it sounded pretty cool). It's a frozen and arid land located on the northern end of the globe. Here's really rough draft : Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	7.7 KB 
ID:	44052

The green part is land. It is rather fertile on the southern end, but desolate and snowy on the northern end. The white part is permanent ice attached to the land. There's some land underneath the ice, but not on the most northern part. There's no major city there.

The northern end of the island would be mountainous and dry and I'd like a big volcano (on the ice part or the land part). The southern end would have some rivers and boreal forests.

The island would be about 250 000 square miles, ice part and land part put together.

I'm not an expert geographer or topographer, so if there's anything wrong with my description we will discon how to make it better. I want the landscape to look as realistic as possible.

I'd like the map in any style you want to make it. I'd only be grateful if someone answer my request. If you really want to make me happy, I'd prefer an ancient map style, a bit like the skyrim map.

I won't ask for a professionnal map since I'm not paying, but the best quality possible would be the better. The map would only serve for the web and I'd like it to have the size of an average full-screen.

You can take all the time you want, just tell me if you start making the map so I will at least know if I'm waiting for nothing. You can contact me at vince93@live.ca .

There will be no copyright on the map. The author of the map will have full rights to it and I'll give I'm credits of the map every time I use it on the web.

Thank you a lot. I hope whoever picks up my request will have fun doing it!
    Last edited by LiterateOrc; 04-16-2012 at 09:21 AM.

OK, when you get back can you answer a couple of questions?

-- How big is this island?
    -- Is the ice all sea-ice (no land underneath) or is some of it on top of land? The latter would make more sense.
    -- You say "arid" at the beginning and then "lush forests"; this sounds like the climate is a bit complicated. Were you thinking ice shading through tundra to boreal forest, like northern Canada, or what?

Thank you for answering octopod.

- The size of the island would be of about 2 500 square miles.
    - For the land/ice thing, I don't really know. If you say the latter is more realistic, it would be that. Sorry for my lack of knowledge in geography.
    - I changed ''lush forests'' by ''boreal forests'', makes more sense. And there would be forests only on the extreme southern part.

f you have other questions just ask!

I'm playing with it. No promises, as I'm kind of a deadbeat, but this looks fun -- I'll see what I can do with it. Old-fashioned parchment-style, you said, like the Skyrim map.

Is it OK if I make the whole thing out of volcanoes? I can have only one of them active if you like.

Yes, you can make it all of volcanoes. It will add a little something. You can make more of one active. Have fun!

So far...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	island.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	469.4 KB 
ID:	44122
    (courtesy of TreeThing!)

That's really good! Can't wait to see the final result!

Thank you!

New version?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	island.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	367.3 KB 
ID:	44527